Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #41
alantf

Re: When to use the clutch...

Go to "post reply". Make sure that "disable smilies" isn't ticked. When you want a smilie, click on it, & it'll appear wherever the cursor is on the "post reply" page. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #42
Suncross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncross
When I am rolling up on a red light that is around the corner (doing about 60 mph), I look and time everything so I glide to a perfect stop. However, as soon as I see it's red, I pull the clutch in. and just ride. I hold it until I stop completely. I still downshift at the appropriate road speed. Is this ok to do? Is this a bad habbit?

Yes, bad habit:

Deceleration
Typically with motorcycles and in motor sport, the clutch is often used to facilitate the use of resistance from the engine spinning at high speeds to decelerate the vehicle more quickly, often accompanied with normal braking. This is achieved by placing the vehicle in a gear that would ordinarily be too low for the current speed and momentum of the vehicle and by partly engaging the clutch. When this happens momentum energy from the inertia of the vehicle is taken away to spin the engine as close as possible to its maximum capability. As the vehicle is decelerating the clutch can be further released to transfer more energy to keep the engine spinning as quickly as possible. Once the clutch is entirely released this cycle proceeds downwards through the gears to further assist deceleration. If the clutch is controlled improperly while this is being attempted, damage or extra wear to the engine and gears is possible, as well as the risk of wheels locking up and a subsequent loss of proper vehicle control.

-------------------

You also run the risk of being in the wrong gear or too low of a gear and locking your rear wheel.

This guy explains it pretty good. And yes, he DOES say he stops by pulling the clutch, stopping then shifting down the gears. He does it when i do it, when a light changes red quickly, traffic stops abruptly, someone turns in front of you all of a sudden ... etc... and theres no time to engine brake.

[youtube:wpsvqelu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4izLOs6nE[/youtube:wpsvqelu]
I suppose I will ebrake a bit more. My bike has about 1500 miles on it. The bike sat for like 3 years so.. it probably isn't really broken in yet. I've heard of people not braking their bikes in until the 3-5k marker. I do exactly what he does in the video already... although I just keep the clutch in. I just remember what gear I am in, and downshift according to road speed. I don't like ebraking because it has to be ever so perfect to not get violently jerked around. I suppose all good things come in practice.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #43
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Hit "preview" before you hit "submit"
Why? :??:

Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #44
blaine

Brings up "smilies" if you are on "quick reply". :rawk:

Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Practice practice practice your ebrakeing and you will get a better feel for the clutch. When downshifting just blip the throttle once when the clutch is pulled in to match the rpm to the bike speed and it will be a smoother downshift. Pul in the clutch, blip the throttle as you downshift and ease out the clutch to catch the rpm as it is dropping. Yes it takes a little coordination but the ride is a lot smoother and fun.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #46
Rookie Rider

:rawk: hahahahaa. Finally
Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #47
akbob343

I totally get what you mean.
I just got my bike and have been practicing in parking lots and around the neighbourhood like crazy, but when i do a left turn into my street,
if i don't shift down and use the clutch, it will stall in the middle of the road -_-
do i shift down before the turn then hold the clutch?
The thing is when i hold the clutch in 1st, and try to complete the turn, i find it jerks forward so i just quickly shift to second.
REALLY don't want this to happen out on busy streets.
All help is so appreciated, as this site has helped alot.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #48
akbob343

I totally get what you mean.
I just got my bike and have been practicing in parking lots and around the neighbourhood like crazy, but when i do a left turn into my street,
if i don't shift down and use the clutch, it will stall in the middle of the road -_-
do i shift down before the turn then hold the clutch? :??:
The thing is when i hold the clutch in 1st, and try to complete the turn, i find it jerks forward so i just quickly shift to second.
REALLY don't want this to happen out on busy streets.
All help is so appreciated, as this site has helped alot.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #49
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS set yourself up BEFORE a turn/curve. Have the bike in the desired gear and speed before taking turn/curve. If you are stalling just making a left into your street, sounds like you are in too high of a gear and going too slow causing it to shut off. You really shouldn't downshift into first gear while setting up for a turn ... the bike will most certainly jerk back n forth or compression lock the back tire. Stay in or downshift to 2nd ... keep your speed 10-15mph or above depending on turn/curve, roll off the throttle and enter the turn .. slowly roll back on the throttle and out of the turn. If you are under 10mph and creeping around a turn, then 1st gear could be used. Need to learn how to feather the clutch and throttle together for smooth transitions so as not to jerk the bike back n forth. Shouldn't hold the clutch in while you turn either! What if you accidentally shift too low for the turn while you keep that clutch pulled in? Possible compression lock. Keep the bike in gear!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #50
cayuse

What Dupo said! :2tup:
To paraphrase:
You should NEVER be holding in the clutch while you are moving, unless you are in a quick-stop situation as mentioned above. Maybe you are holding in the clutch as you slow down to avoid stalling the engine while approaching a turn? Rather, as you slow down, you should downshift to let the engine turn over faster. If you do this so the engine is always engaged (clutch out) and is turning at some mid-range RPM, (not idling, and not screaming) you will automatically find yourself in or near the proper gear to power through the turn.
How's the heat today in Brampton, BTW?!? It's a bike-perfect day here in Abby, 23C and sunny.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA