Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
El Diablo

Bet my back hurts tomorrow.

Don't tip the bike, don't tip the bike over.

Lesson learned - just because putting down the kick stand turned the bike off, don't assume it made it all the way down and didn't pop back up.

I was leaving my house today after going by at lunch time. I had driven my truck to work (drop off my son at school). I generally go home for lunch and swap out for my motorcycle. As I was driving down the driveway, I decided to stop and make sure my truck was locked. I pulled just barely passed the truck, stopped, put the kickstand down (I thought), and started to get off the bike. I am going to work out after work so I had my gym bag bungeed down on the little passenger seat.

Well, I as I start to get off, the bike starts to tip over. I hang on and do stop it's progress before it gets all the way to the ground. My mind is saying, just let it go and get out of the way but my body hangs on, turns the tide, and uprights the bike. My left hand mirror was askew as it had been pushing on my arm. The left foot peg is turned up and my gymbag is hanging on the side of the bike. It just caught the bumper of the truck and probably helped me a little. O_o

Bike is ok and I am ok but I am a little bit sore in my back between the shoulder blades, as well as my bi-ceps. I was grateful that it happened on the 300 pound GZ instead of a heavier bike.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads