Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Moedad

Re: Traded In Two, Bought One New

Suh-WEET! Nice bike! I'm envious.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
dhgeyer

Alan,

On most of my longer trips I average 250 to 300 miles a day, assuming a mix of highway and good, US marked 2 lane routes. If it's only a day or two I can do a fair amount longer, but day after day it adds up. You have to watch out for being more tired than you realize, because it's such an exciting and fun way to travel, and requires more effort and concentration than a car. The average I just quoted includes a day off every few days, or at least with very limited riding.

If you've never done touring, good advice would be to do a couple of 2 to 3 day rides. There's a whole science/art to figuring out what's important to you to bring in the limited space you have, and how to organize and pack it. With some obvious exceptions, it's a very individual thing. The first inclination is to seriously overpack, and regret it once out on the road. With experience you work the kinks out. Ultimately, there is no perfect solution. For 2000 miles each way, you will want more than just saddlebags. Options are a topcase (good because secure), a good sized tankbag, and/or a roll for clothing secured to a luggage rack or the back seat.

There are lots of places on the web to get touring tips and lore. Of course, for a trip like that, you need to plan bike maintenance ahead. Start with fresh tires, and a tune up. Have some idea how you're going to get an oil/filter change done somewhere. But, heck, planning a trip like that is part of the fun!

As for the bike, I personally never did distance well on cruisers, but that too is an individual thing. It's a question of which body part gives out first. After a long day in the saddle, something's going to hurt, it's just a question of what. This from a 63 year old in only moderately good shape. But, on the road I've talked to lots of MC touring people at the motels I've stayed at, and the most common bikes I encounter are various forms of Harleys. This isn't because people choose that type of bike for touring. It's because they buy Harleys, and then decide to tour, and a Harley is what they have. Most people do OK on them, although, depending on which generation of Harley they're riding, some of them have a lot of break downs.

I'd say go for it. You don't want to end up in a rocking chair with no teeth wishing you'd done it.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
dhgeyer

Thanks Moedad! Now, if the roads would just clear up so I can ride it! Sure is fun staring at a brandy new bike in the garage.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

dhgeyer, you have pretty much said it all. My experience, take a day off from riding. Packed the wrong stuff or too much. Didn't have proper variety of clothing for all conditions. Alan, just a suggestion but it did work when Lynda and I started to ride together. Plan a couple overnighters and see what works and if you really needed some of the stuff. After last summer I just pack a handful of extra tools, a good variety of clothing for off/on the bike and any meds an old guy might need. Oh ya, spare eye glasses. Any light bulbs or small parts can be found at dealerships or auto stores. My bike always carries a first aid kit and half a liter of oil just in case. Tire pressure gauge too and plug kit if you have tubeless tires.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for info. I did a mini tour in September, not sure if I posted the details. I left my house at about 1 or 2am on a Friday, rode in the dark up PCH to the 101 (oxnard?) and at about 5:30am Sat checked into a budget hotel. Got going again at about 11:30am and rode all the way up to Salinas on the 1 (Big Sur, and all of that.) Had dinner with my daughter, then to Laurel Inn. Sun AM did a tour of Cal State Monterrey bay (in her Chrysler) ate breakfast and hit the 101. Got home about 5:30pm. I think it was about 770 miles over about 40 hours or so. I packed very lightly (I am a seasoned traveler, just not on motorcycles,) basically my change of clothes and some emergency drink/food (which I returned home with unopened.) I'm not a camper any more so I didn't need tents, etc.

My biggest problem was a general uneasiness with riding for no particular reason. Once I got on the road I was basically in a hurry to get where I was going and didn't really enjoy the ride as much as I thought. I'm not sure if a different destination, or grander goal would help there. I've pursued many other pointless activities of moderate difficulty and dubious value (ran three marathons in '04 for example and did a double century in '96 on a bicycle) so I don't want to rule this out just yet. I'm "only" 51 so I guess I still have some time if I don't kill myself in the interim.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Alan, you don't need a destination to ride. I quite often just go in search of a cup of coffee. If you do need a destination don't fret about time limits or the exact route. Look forward to detours and getting lost. Stop whenever/wherever you want just because you can. Sit out front of a Star Bucks with your coffee. Motorcycles and dogs attract new friends like a magnet. Make stops at different bike dealers just for the fun of it. You may find something you never knew you needed til you saw it there. Buy a T-shirt to remind you where you've been. I once drove an extra 1000 miles just to get a T-shirt while on vacation. That was my only actual destination that popped up while I was in New Mexico and thinking about a round about route home. Why, because I didn't buy it 18 years earlier when I was there. Ya, it was a special T-shirt. Still have it and wear it.
Riding across America, take your time, take a camera and capture memories. Oh, and a roll of TP, you never know.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
dhgeyer

I think Alan touched upon a very real issue with touring, one that I still struggle with. It's something of a guilty pleasure. We're so conditioned, especially men, to be goal oriented, it's hard to let one's self purely enjoy watching the scenery go by while dancing with curves.

I find that when I'm touring there is always an argument going on in my head between "Put on a lot of miles so you've got something to show for the day.", and "Hey, you're on vacation here, smell the roses.". I'm acutely aware of the burden my absence puts on my wife and daughter, and the fact that they worry about me when I'm on the road on my bike. So I feel a pressure to get the trip done as quickly as possible, and still get it all in. Against this I balance the fact that nothing I've ever done has been quite as rewarding in the dimension of pure enjoyment, and, I don't want it to be over.

For my big trip this Summer, I am planning in advance to set a pace that allows lots of time for photography and exploring places on foot, and etc. I'm going to get the guilt out of the way before I leave, and really pace myself to enjoy the ride. At least this is the plan.

But, apart from my own issues, the point is that Alan is right. State of mind is just as important to enjoying this activity as getting the hardware right. And I think it does take a while to find the right balance, at least for most of us.

If this comes across as negative in any way, it's not intended that way. Nothing is perfect. No joy, at least in this life, is without some balancing drawbacks. Motorcycle touring for me beats anything else, and it's what I look forward to doing all year long. It's in my blood, and I need it.

This year I negotiated with Sue a new bike, arguably the safest model made anywhere, and a month or more on the road, whatever it takes, and I'm going to do this (God willing and the creek don't rise) at a pace that's ideal for fun and health (getting a good walk in every day). I'm going to finally tell that "hurry up" voice inside my head to shut the Hell up.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
burkbuilds

dhgeyer,
I hope you have a great trip. I struggle with the "enjoy the ride vs get there!" all the time. I find that if I'm focused to much on the destination, I don't really enjoy the ride as much. I think you have the right attitude going in, just slow the pace a little and enjoy the trip while you are on it and the destination once you get there.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
mrlmd1

"This year I negotiated with Sue a new bike, ARGUABLY THE SAFEST MODEL MADE ANYWHERE'.

While maybe or not that's true, that has to be one of the greatest lines or arguments of all time to get the wife to agree on the purchase of a new bike, as most of them don't understand what this is all about unless they ride too. Nice going, and good luck again with it.
And how do you convince her to for "a month or more on the road, whatever it takes, and I'm going to do this"? Either she truly understands your need to go for a long solo journey or she wants some peace and quiet for a month too. Do you take along a Spot Messenger so she can follow your travels online?
How soon 'till all the bags etc. are delivered and attached and you're ready to roll?
When I told my SO after the fact that I had bought a new bike, I used the lame excuse that I wanted a little more fun in my life and I could hone up my riding skills on the Ninja so I could better handle the S50 and she bought it and said "great, go for it, be happy and stay safe" What more could you want out of life?.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
My biggest problem was a general uneasiness with riding for no particular reason. Once I got on the road I was basically in a hurry to get where I was going and didn't really enjoy the ride as much as I thought.
In my experience, that is typical of folks from the "left coast". :poke2: :biggrin:

You need to spend some time on a midwest farm or in the south.......away from a big city.
It also helps to get OFF the super-slabs.....once you are away from the city.
In your area, just getting AWAY from the "city" (and the traffic) is a chore in itself.