Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Moedad

Re: Toying with new bike idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Why you looking to switch? (both of you).
What's wrong with the Vstrom or why do you want a cruiser now? Is that not comfortable on long trips?
And AC - why are you not happy with the Strat? Too big, uneconomical?
Or isit just the itch for a change for you both?
I don't know about them, but I'd like a bike with more range, fuel injection, and gauges to start. A few hundred more CC's would be nice too. Don't want a cruiser though. A lightly used sport-tourer (first choice. Maybe a FJR1300 with a couple of years and less than 15k on it) or adventure bike (second choice. Gotta be Wee-Strom if I go that route)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
dhgeyer

This thread hits me close to home. I went through 13 bikes in less than 8 years, and I kind of kick myself. I started in 2002, after not riding for years, with a 2001 Vulcan 500 LTD in mint condition and low miles that I got for $3500.00. Every time I swapped up or down, I had some logical reason. There was a primarily used bike dealer in Manchester (now a Yamaha dealership), where I could trade in a bike I bought there and not take too much of a beating if I got another used bike, so it was never as extravagant as you might think. Still, I wonder if I still had that Vulcan 500, and had simply adapted it to my needs like Burkbuilds did, if I wouldn't have had just as much fun for a lot less money.

I just read a study that somebody did, where they found that people who spend their money on experiences (travel, vacations, concerts, social and service groups, and so forth) are happier than people who spend their money on things. That has a ring of truth for me.

I've bought my last motorcycle. There are things I don't like about the BMW, and if I let myself, I could find a reason to get rid of it and get something else. I'm just not going to do that anymore.

I don't mean to sound preachy - Hell, I'm the last one to preach on this subject. I've been collecting "stuff" all my life. I'm just saying that for me it doesn't work anymore. From now on, I'm not replacing anything I've got unless it's worn out, or I really have to for some reason. Instead of looking for things my stuff can't do, I'm going to maximize the experiences I can have with what I've got.

For the record, if anyone is considering a BMW, I can no longer recommend that brand in good conscience. Their quality control has gone to Hell, and they are not standing behind what they sell. Frequenting the BMW motorcycle boards I'm finding that a lot of people are getting burned, and to the tune of a lot of money. I'm not getting rid of mine, but every time I think about it I can only hope I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
mrlmd1

dhg- I'm really sorry to hear that from you about your new bike, but like you said, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones with no problems. And if you do start to have problems with it or with the dealer taking care of it, you probably will get rid of it to save you the headache of having to deal with it and not being able to use it or trust it. Hopefully that won't happen to you .

Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
dhgeyer

Thanks mrlmd1! I can only hope. Thing is, about the worst thing that is at all likely to happen is a final drive failure after the bike is out of warranty. Large numbers of the final drives are failing. If that happens I'm out anywhere from $600.00 to $1500.00 bucks, and probably considerable downtime. There are other components failing on BMW's, but that's the nightmare scenario. The really aggravating thing is that all these problems have been known for years, well documented by user groups, and BMW is still building the same components into the bikes, no changes, and answering any complaints with denial and/or stony silence. I just can't respect that company anymore.

Still, I can't justify getting rid of the bike for that reason. Even if the worst were to happen, it wouldn't cost as much as trading to another bike, given that I bought mine new and would take a huge hit.

As an aside to WW, a large number of formerly totally loyal BMW customers are (reluctantly) going to other bikes now, and the most popular ones seem to be the Suzuki DL650 or DL1000 Vstroms. Reason? In a word - bulletproof, like BMWs used to be.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Any of you guys ever have a KTM?
Go price one and get back to us. Depending on which model and size you get they aren't cheap but they do have some impressive features.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

DH, 13 bikes in 8 years isn't bad if you aren't going new each time although it still get costly. Decades ago I averaged a brand spanking new car every 11 months and lost dearly every time. After switching to vans or trucks I found my nitch. I am not considering switching bikes just to switch but for the fact the Vstrom is getting to tall for an old guy to climb or pick up if it goes to sleep and falls over.
If Suzuki ever made a Wee Strom model with a 3 in lower seat and 10/15 % lighter it would be even better than it is now IMHO. As it is now it is a very good bike judging by it's following. The aftermarket also supports them with bunches of neat stuff that works.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I just read a study that somebody did, where they found that people who spend their money on experiences (travel, vacations, concerts, social and service groups, and so forth) are happier than people who spend their money on things.
As long as we're getting a bit of a preach on... The happiest people I've met had neither money nor many things, but, true to your recommendation, took pride (and joy) in being resourceful with what they had. I have to admit, I buy a lot of things, but I never borrow to buy and I try not to buy stuff I won't use. Still it happens.

To me, the planning, the buying, the using, the tinkering, the refining, and the talking about it are all equally pointless, and yet, they serve the same purpose: to distract us from the absurdity of existence. I think I enjoyed planning and equipping my recent trip as much as I did the actual doing of it. I feel very fortunate to be able to indulge myself in increasingly complicated (and expensive!) forms of distraction and my use of motorcycles in this pursuit is no exception. I had a great deal of truly joyous moments on my trip - whether it was from perfect throttle control on an uphill ess turn, to encountering a bear on my hiking trail, to blowing past 13 cars stuck behind a rental RV and tucking back in just before I became bug guts on a semi grille - so I consider the dough well spent. I enjoy hearing about others likes and dislikes and, while I value your judgment, I'd be happier if you continued to try out new bikes (to save me the time! [and potential mistakes.])

Good luck with your Beemer - I saw many happy BMW owners in my travels - hopefully yours will not be one of the problem models. I will be wary about jumping into one without careful research of your reported issues.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Well the new bike idea is in the crapper. Went for an extended ride today and saw a few C-50s and one Star 950. I will pass on the Star. The C-50 was not the model I was hoping to find but near enough if the price was right with only one difference being the spoked wheels rather than the mag wheels the C-50SEC has. I was actually offered a test ride which I declined at one dealer. Some dealers don't seem to want to dicker and others are just a little brain dead. At one dealer I asked for his lowest price on the back of his business card. He mumbled something about a hunting license to take to other dealers. Hmmm. Thought that was the name of the game.
So I will keep the WeeStrom and maybe just buy a new thermometer to replace one that died two weeks ago. That and retrackable training wheels so I don't fall over at stops. Heh heh. However that test ride on a C-50 T(touring model)sure sounds tempting.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #19
dhgeyer

I love to go for test rides on other bikes that I've never ridden before. I'd never turn one down. I guess that's a good way to collect experiences without the baggage of collecting things. It's cheap entertainment as long as you don't get seduced and pull the trigger.

A few weeks ago the local BMW/Triumph dealer had the Triumph factory demo truck one week, and the BMW factory demo truck a week or two later. They unload a couple of dozen bikes, and the more people they can get to go for test rides, the better they like it. They make it a two day event with refreshments and so on. Only bad news is, they're group rides, but still, I'll sign up no problem.

I got to ride a Triumph Bonneville T-100. Of course back in my day the Triumphs and BSA's were what all us kids wanted. In all these years, I had never had a chance to ride one. I was quite impressed with the T-100. I'd love to have one, but, no, getting to put 26 miles on it was enough.

Then a week or so later I got to ride a BMW F800GS. Again, great fun. Love to have one. But, better to spend all that money enjoying the two bikes I've got.

The local BMW/Triumph dealership (Second Wind BMW/Triumph in Amherst, NH) has never once turned me down for a test ride on a used machine, even when they know perfectly well I have no interest in buying the bike. I wanted an old style BMW for 40 years, but having ridden a couple of them I realize how far brake development has come. Now I wouldn't take a bike with a drum front brake as a gift.

Fun? You bet!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Planning on renting a Honda 750 (aero I think - similar to Shadow but styled a little different IIRC) on Saturday and maybe a dual sport a couple of weeks later. Hope to discover some non- flat non straight roads in the greater Chicagoland area. It's not as cheap as a test ride - but I wouldn't be buying in IL anyway and wouldn't want to abuse the privelege.