Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
mr. softie

Latest trip

On Sunday I took off from my place in PA for a ride down into Maryland to visit my boat. It is a Newport 27 on the hard at a big marina south of Annapolis. The way I go is a 200 mile ride each way, and the trip has become too expensive to drive my pickup, so I took the gz.

Ready to ride.

I got a late start so I was bookin' the whole trip. I wanted to get some work done on the boat and still make it back before midnight so I could spend Labor Day with my family.

79 miles into the trip my speedo cable broke. A few minutes later the green lens on the neutral indicator fell off. Otherwise the bike performed great. I took back roads to I476 South and hooked up with I95 South till I got to Rt 1 South. I then cut over to Rt 301 South and stopped for fuel and a double chocolate milk at the WAWA in Middletown Delaware.

301 is a divided highway but a pleasant ride. Light traffic and smooth pavement. I stopped at the Bay Country Welcome Center to stretch my legs and took this photo. This site is located on U.S. 301 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland, approximately 15 miles north of its junction with U.S. 50.

The final leg of the trip down took me over the Bay Bridge. The Bay Bridge opened in 1952 and was at the time the world’s longest continuous over-water steel structure. It is all paved so no difficulties with steel mesh etc. At the top you are almost 200 feet above the Chesapeake, and the bridge is over 4 miles long. It carries close to 30 million vehicles a year and costs $2.50 eastbound only. I didn't stop for pics (I was bookin') but I lifted these off the web site.

I then hooked up with Maryland 2 for the rest of the drive down. It is a scenic rural drive over rolling hills.

I made it!

After working on the boat for a while, and with darkness approaching, I took off for home, making it at 11:59 pm. BTW my seat mod worked very well with no more discomfort than if I had been sitting all day in my chair at home :2tup: I managed to braze the speedo cable back together and cut a new neutral lamp lens out of a plastic bottle cap. So its all good!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Latest trip

Nice ride sir, and an excellent report. I used to live in Jersey and we'd vacay in MD. I remember lots of bridge/tunnel action in the Chesapeake (sp) Bay area. One day I hope to go somewhere that isn't a store.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I used to live in Jersey
Now it all makes sense. The pieces have fallen into place.

:bong: :retard: :redflip:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
and cut a new neutral lamp lens out of a plastic bottle cap. So its all good!
Keep an eye on that neutral light. The lens assy. also keeps the top of the rubber lamp holder expanded firmly in the mounting hole. You might want to get a new one when you have a chance.