Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
TrystaEC

Send a message via Yahoo to TrystaEC
gz250 mileage

I was just wondering since the gz250 doesnt have something to show you how much gas you have if someone knows the range is when the motorcycle is almost empty

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
bonehead

Re: gz250 mileage

Most of us reset the trip meter eveytime we fill up. Do that and when you switch to reserve, you have your tank range. Most of the people on here are getting 60-70 mpg. I get around 55. Just depends on your location and riding habbits.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrystaEC
I was just wondering since the gz250 doesnt have something to show you how much gas you have if someone knows the range is when the motorcycle is almost empty
Not exactly sure I understand the "almost empty" part of the question but.......
I was able to go 150 miles without hitting reserve; since I never ran it completely empty, I don't know how much reserve is good for. My guess is 30 miles, minimum.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
mrlmd1

The gas tank holds 3.4 gal. total volume, reserve capacity is 0.8 gal. If you're getting 60 mpg, that translates to 45-50 miles 'till empty when it quits.
To be safe, you should refill it at 30-40 miles after switching on reserve, or, even better, at the next gas station. Then you're good for another 140-150 miles and then you have to do it again.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Refill as soon as you hit reserve. I get usually 150 miles in the "on" position. Don't forget to put the valve back to the "on" position.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Refill as soon as you hit reserve. I get usually 150 miles in the "on" position. Don't forget to put the valve back to the "on" position.
Actually my advice is to do that once or twice and THEN watch the trip odometer and fill up just a bit BEFORE that mileage. That eliminates the second problem and gives you a little extra cushion should there be a problem finding a station.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Dana_GA

I'm running mine dry on this tank of gas to see what my real MPG is. So far, I have 244 miles on my 2001 GZ250. I haven't had to switch over to reserve yet. I'm kinda nervous about it running out of gas and stalling on me, will it give me time to reach down and switch to Reserve?? or do I have to pull the clutch in and shift to Neutral to be able to use that arm?? LOL

Love this forum, been reading it for a month. I bought my bike a month ago and it had 1,490 miles on it, I've put 500 miles on it riding back and forth to work everyday. I have to admit though that I'm seriously wanting to upgrade to a bigger engine, mine only gets up to 70 going downhill!! LOL
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
blaine

Welcome,With a little practice you can reach and switch to reserve when you feel the bike stumble and keep on your way to the nearest service station.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Welcome,With a little practice you can reach and switch to reserve when you feel the bike stumble and keep on your way to the nearest service station.
Absolutely agree with the practice suggestion. Start with being able to find the petcock while you are stationary.Learn just where to reach without having to look down. Once you have that, then head out on the road and practice switching back and forth main to reserve and back again. No need to change gears or anything else.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA
I'm running mine dry on this tank of gas to see what my real MPG is. So far, I have 244 miles on my 2001 GZ250. I haven't had to switch over to reserve yet. I'm kinda nervous about it running out of gas and stalling on me, will it give me time to reach down and switch to Reserve?? or do I have to pull the clutch in and shift to Neutral to be able to use that arm?? LOL
I find it hard to believe that you have gone 244 miles and haven't hit reserve yet. Like I posted before up above on here, the total capacity of the tank is 3.4 gal, reserve is 0.8 gal, that means 2.6 gal used before you need the reserve. 244 miles on that 2.6 gal would be 93.8 mpg. Nobody gets that except coasting downhill in neutral.
Maybe you didn't reset your odometer correctly, you should be running on reserve at about 150-170 miles if you're getting 60-65mpg like the rest of us on here. If you are already on reserve and are getting 70 mpg you will be pushing the bike to a gas station pretty soon.