Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
brizbot

Oh No Done f@%ed up: PRI

Hi Guys,

I came to this forum because I too did not read the manual to the bike that I just got last night and set to 'PRI'. Luckily I decided to look over the manual this morning, but realized I done f@%ed up

So here's the situation:
Set the fuel valve to PRI from 6pm to 8am. Set it to On at 8am.
I have not turned it on as of yet.

Here's what I have done so far:
-Drain the airbox via the tube that hangs down under the bike.
There was about 1/8 cup of dark oil that came out.

-Take out the air filter and let the thing air out for a bit.
It smelled only a little like gas, but regardless I let it air out for about 6 hours.

-Remove the spark plug and turn the engine over a few times to expel what might be in the chamber
I have not done that yet

-Check your oil level.
-Pull the oil fill cap and see if it smells like gas. (If it does, drain and refill oil)
The oil level is completely black. I smelled the oil did not smell much like gas.

Here is what I plan to do:
Drain oil
Change oil filter
Take out spark plug and turn the engine over a few times like suggested.

Any other things I should/not be doing?

Thanks for your assistance guys. I feel like I real bonehead
Briz

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #12
wacio

If your carb is in good shape - especially float valve working OK, than you don't need to worry about a thing. Pri position should be avoided if you are to leave bike sit for days or weeks. Bike with fuel valve open (what prime position really is) may cause fresh fuel flowing to carb as it evaporates causing varnish buildup.
If you have problem with needle valve not closing correctly you may cause overflowing carburetor - fuel getting into filter housing or engine.
Just be mindful that petcock valve also has tendency to leak. Both valves should be checked from time to time and kept working as intended. Float valve also impacts how the bike will run (assuring proper fuel level in carb).
Old 09-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
brizbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
If your carb is in good shape - especially float valve working OK, than you don't need to worry about a thing. Pri position should be avoided if you are to leave bike sit for days or weeks. Bike with fuel valve open (what prime position really is) may cause fresh fuel flowing to carb as it evaporates causing varnish buildup.
If you have problem with needle valve not closing correctly you may cause overflowing carburetor - fuel getting into filter housing or engine.
Just be mindful that petcock valve also has tendency to leak. Both valves should be checked from time to time and kept working as intended. Float valve also impacts how the bike will run (assuring proper fuel level in carb).
Thanks Wacio!

Yeah I was king of thrown off because the bike doesn't have an 'off' position but thankfully these forums have educated me that 'on' is fine since it (shouldn't) pull gas unless the bike has been started.

I am a little freaked out by the amount of gas that got into the oil, but I drained it last night and plan on putting in a new filter and oil today after work. Let's hope she starts up with no issues!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
wacio

Fuel in oil means that your float valve is not working right. It could be cracked float, dirty valve or damaged o'ring around valve seat. I still would look at taking carb off and checking the carb fuel level adjustment and integrity of valve and oring. In good working carb this shouldn't have happened. Fuel level in carb is lower than height of jets and fuel only gets into the engine then running (sucked in with air).
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
brizbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
Fuel in oil means that your float valve is not working right. It could be cracked float, dirty valve or damaged o'ring around valve seat. I still would look at taking carb off and checking the carb fuel level adjustment and integrity of valve and oring. In good working carb this shouldn't have happened. Fuel level in carb is lower than height of jets and fuel only gets into the engine then running (sucked in with air).
Wacio

Thanks again! I (or my bike) didn't blow up!
As I mentioned before I changed the oil, changed the filter, wiped and aired out the air filter compartment, emptied out the tube under the bike, and even started the engine up several times without the spark plug.

I am taking it for inspection this weekend. I will ask the mechanic to check the carb.

Thanks again for your help.
Briz

Old 09-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
wacio

Your bike would not blow up. Exploding vehicles are mostly effects of Hollywood productions. Your worst case scenario would be seizing engine, hydrolocking with potential of some mechanical damage or catching fire (very unlikely).
If you'll have someone look at carb make sure you mention carb causing flooding crankcase and air box so tech verifies action of components responsible for fuel level in carburetor.