Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #11
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Let's see....3.4 minus .8 leaves 2.6....I think! So you are a little shy of the 2.4 I "think" you should be getting.
You are NOT filling up while sitting ON the bike and holding it straight up, are you? That would be bad for 2 reasons!!
Nope.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
quick question: i know the GZ had a .8 gallon reserve, and 3.7 main tank... by "main" that in effect means "total," right? so 2.9 gallons until you hit reserve?
Well, since you put it THAT way.................... :??:

Yes, I think if you look elswhere in the "specs", you will see that the total fuel capacity is listed ad 3.7 gal.

But, as we were discussing, you will likely NEVER get a useable 2.9 before reserve; more likely 2.3 to 2.6.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
ok now i'm worried.

last fill up i had gone about 220 miles. i don't remember exactly how many gallons i put in but i do remember the MPG was about 68. so, 220/68 is 3.24. am i driving with my reserve on?

i guess i could just go out in the garage and check...

Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Remember - The long side points toward what you want.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
5th_bike

The picture above shows the 'normal' position, not the 'reserve' position.

Last time I put in on reserve 4 miles before the gas station and filled it up with 2.931 gallons (for $11.72, which got me a full tank of gas for my car just a few years ago), touching the bottom quart of the fill pipe. Now at 208 miles I just switched it to reserve again and will get gas tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
The picture above shows the 'normal' position, not the 'reserve' position.
Thanks, I should have said that in the post.

I won't accidentally-keep-it-on-reserve-through-the-whole-tank again.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #17
Orpheus

I meant to start a thread on a similar topic a while back and forgot. I ran out of gas about a month ago and switching to reserve did nothing for me; ended up pushing the bike a couple of blocks to the nearest gas station. I tried priming it and starting it, and also just starting it on reserve but nothing worked. Is it possible that my reserve line/valve/however it flows out of the tank is clogged or something? The other option is that something's wrong with the petcock, but I really doubt that. I've been pretty much just making sure that I refuel @ around 200 miles, but I don't like that I'm not sure if the reserve is actually going to be there when I need it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I meant to start a thread on a similar topic a while back and forgot. I ran out of gas about a month ago and switching to reserve did nothing for me; ended up pushing the bike a couple of blocks to the nearest gas station. I tried priming it and starting it, and also just starting it on reserve but nothing worked. Is it possible that my reserve line/valve/however it flows out of the tank is clogged or something? The other option is that something's wrong with the petcock, but I really doubt that. I've been pretty much just making sure that I refuel @ around 200 miles, but I don't like that I'm not sure if the reserve is actually going to be there when I need it.
As this thread says, I actually had my petcock (tee hee) set to reserve for the whole tank, so it basically ran it bone dry. Make sure you have the long side of the fuel switch pointing to OK and not RES.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I did this once. I was wondering why I was over 200 miles on my tank and hadn't been forced to use reserve yet. When I filled up, around 205 miles, I saw my mistake. Fortunately for me, it happened before I ra out of gas.

-Jonathan
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I meant to start a thread on a similar topic a while back and forgot. I ran out of gas about a month ago and switching to reserve did nothing for me; ended up pushing the bike a couple of blocks to the nearest gas station. I tried priming it and starting it, and also just starting it on reserve but nothing worked.
It is possible that your petcock (or the taps inside the tank) are somehow messed up but...............
I'm afraid I have to say that it is MUCH more likely that you have it on reserve all the time.
The long part of the lever should be toward the FRONT of the bike, over top of ON.

It is also possible that you didn't get it switched over fast enough. If it dies completely, it may take a good LONG minute to get the fuel flowing good again. Switch to PRIme and count slowly to 100 BEFORE you touch the starter.