Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #61
greatmaul

Re: Cleaning chain with kerosine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr959
Wow. I'm very impressed. You commute 200 miles a day ? On the gz ?
Well, it's about 85 miles each way, so 170 total, but often I get to town a bit early and drive around so the miles go up from there. Usually I can just make it to the same gas station every day, sometimes using the reserve and sometimes not, and it depends on if there was any sort of wind that day.

I have to admit it was kinda harsh until I got a gel seat pad on ebay, and even then it's kinda just bearable on the backside, but I really wish I had a better seat. I'm going to get an old seat on ebay and pad it up like Mr. Softee did on one of the old threads on here, one of these days. I usually ride every other day partly because I do grocery shopping and partly because it kinda hurts.

Oh, and Y'know, Gz Rider, I didn't even know that about the chain. I knew it was a rust preventative, but I didn't know it had it's own built in lubrication on the inside. That's really cool. Probably explains why mine hasn't broken into pieces and fallen off yet since I've been so lax in the oiling department. (only oiled it once in about 2000 miles so far)

I really need to get some kerosene. Like, today.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
Gz Rider

Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #63
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
I've done lots of grocery shopping on my GZ. People sometimes laugh when they see 3-4 bags of groceries and wonder how I will get them on the bike but between the saddlebags and tying bags to my elastic cargo carrying net on my rear seat, I always make it.
That's awesome. I've used it to get some food, but haven't really loaded it up.

Oh, except that one time when I carried an entire cow on the back:

Man! did I need some earplugs on that trip. That thing mooed the whole way home. lol. j/k that pic is from google. There's a book, "Bikes of Burden" full of images like that. I might get it for meself for xmas.

Oh and (just to remain on topic) I needed a whole gallon of kerosene to clean the bike after that!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #64
Way

FWIW, I could not find Dupont Teflon Lube at either Aubuchon Hardware or Home Depot. I did find it at Lowes in Littleton, NH so perhaps there has been a distribution change? They had a little 4 oz bottle of Dupont Chain Lube for the same price. I'm hoping they're the same. Both had the same vague ingredient list and the can said it was good for chains so I took a chance.

I would try to find a hardware store that sells kerosene if it's legal in your state. I checked the price at Walmart, they wanted $5.88 a quart which is insane. I was able to buy some for $4.20 a gallon which is expensive but not quite Walmart-expensive. O_o

I've never heard of the loobman. Looks a bit messy:

[youtube:3bmrcr01]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WKgzIdOUI[/youtube:3bmrcr01]
Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #65
Water Warrior 2

The Loobman can be messy especially if it feeds too much oil but the chain will last a lot longer. Heavier gear oil will work nice because it will not break down near as fast due to shear forces. The actual feed is a determined by trial and error.
Earlier Loobman models were altitude sensitive and would over oil as the altitude changed. Loobman has an easy fix for early models to correct the problem.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #66
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
I would try to find a hardware store that sells kerosene if it's legal in your state. I checked the price at Walmart, they wanted $5.88 a quart which is insane.
Try to find a gas station that sells kerosene. Older station, higher chance.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #67
Water Warrior 2

Try the camping supplies dept in the local big stores.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #68
Gz Rider