Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
5th_bike

Around here (central Maryland) almost everybody waves, and the meaning of the wave is, as far as I know: "Keep your rubber side down !" That's why mostly riders do 'the wave' with the left arm and hand pointing down. I tend to point at where the other rider's wheels are going. If the left hand is busy with the clutch you can use the right hand, pointing at the other bike, or just up.

Before coming to a stop sign or stop light I always try to get it into neutral, successful mostly, and manage to do 'the wave' as well. This once got me an admiring (or it was my imagination) nod from an experienced looking Goldwing rider who was coming from the left and just making a right turn at the intersection where I was just doing the last inches to a stop. As well as a "good boy' type of nod with smile from a motorized policeman, who was just changing gears on his Harley and couldn't wave at the time.

The only non-wavers so far were rare, but mostly Harley riders, some seem to first look if you have a Harley and if you don't, you apparently don't ride a motorcycle. Or something.

It's probably different in the weekends, last weekend a lot of motorcycles were out. During the week, when you mostly meet commuters like yourself, they almost always wave.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Meanguy

I saw this on another bike website I go to a lot, and it explained why some riders do not wave back at you.

http://www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?nam ... light=wave
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
bigwonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanguy
I saw this on another bike website I go to a lot, and it explained why some riders do not wave back at you.

http://www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?nam ... light=wave
Lol - nice list! There's always some truth behind every joke...

Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #14
Orpheus

The downward-aimed wave is so that the wind doesn't catch your arm and pull it back (as would happen if you waved with your arm up). At lights and such, I usually give the "we just made eye contact in the men's restroom" nod which is understandable if you're at a light with your hand on the clutch. Here in AZ, EVERYONE on two wheels gives the wave, whether it's a bike or scooter or whatever, which is strange because the cagers around here are ore inconsiderate than anywhere else I've been in the entire country. Probably some kind of solidarity thing with two wheelers.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
It's a family thing. You know you're in the club and if the guy you wave to watches you go down, or need help at all, it's a good bet he'll be right there at your back helping out no matter what....and you'd do the same thing for him/her. That's the bond that is created in the few seconds of interaction at 55mph.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Tonckawa

For me, waving means we are in the same environment, the same exposures, the same (more) dangers than the driver behind a wheel so when I wave, it means "Be Safe, there are idiots out there driving cars who don't see you". and I normally point 1 or 2 fingers down at 45 degrees and stay that way until I pass them.

I have a friend who has a 150cc scooter. He never waves because many many bikers will not wave at him so he stopped doing it. I wave regardless because they are exposed to the same dangers as a Gold Wing 1300.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
trykemike

wave

Up my way only the cruiser guys do the low wave left hand 45 degrees . Harley riders always wave when I pass as do I. Very rare for the sport bike crowd to wave.

I have always practiced this ritual since 1966 when I started riding.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #18
LilNinja77

Around here the metric cruisers and sportbikes pretty much all wave, the HD's only wave to eachother.....except for the HD-trikes, they are usually really old guys and wave and smile at me...oh well, they are probably just laughing at my outfit . I'll wave at anyone who isn't being a jackass on 2 wheels. If I see someone riding in a way that endangers myself (either directly or indirectly through traffic) then they get NO WAVE About the only sportbikes that won't wave are the 'Busa guys, they are almost as tribal as the HD's. Actually, same thing with the big touring Beemers', I rarely get a wave out of them.

On a side note, I stopped waving at the local HD riders a little while ago. There are 3 biker bars (i.e. Harley bars) within 10 minutes of my house, just so happens that one of those bars is on the same street a friend of mine lives on. As I was leaving his place and waiting to merge back on to the highway, I looked over and saw a big group of HD's hanging out at the bar. One of them honked, and silly ole' me (thinking they wouldn't be jackasses) honked and waved back......I got rocks thrown at me :??: If any of you ride through Suffolk VA, don't stop at the Happy Horse along 58....they suck :mad:
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
Tonckawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
If any of you ride through Suffolk VA, don't stop at the Happy Horse along 58....they suck :mad:
Ride safe
I know that place. Used to go out that way to play paintball.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Littlethumper

Re: Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I did see a helmet sticker that said "Wave Goddammit" LOL

:chop:
LOL, i like those stickers.. :lol: