Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Engine oil level goes down

GZ 250.........1-1.5 ml of oil ?? Are you going by the marks on the oil bottle. Each mark is 100 ml. 10 marks would be 1000 ml or 1 liter. If you are adding 100 to 150 mls twice between oil changes that is probably an acceptable amount in my opinion. You must remember that the GZ is air cooled and does not have the close tolerances of a water cooled engine. This is to allow for expansion and contraction of engine parts over a wide range of operating temps. Water cooled engines only get to a predetermined operating temp and are designed with closer tolerances. Some will still use oil regardless of a controlled operating temp.
The bike using a little oil and forcing you to keep an eye on it is probably a good thing. You may spot something else that needs attention.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
GZ250

Thanks ER and WW.

You are right. It is 100-200ml (1-2 oz) between oil change and i do it almost twice and it is not because of high mileage. It is like that from the beginning when the bike was new. But does not bother and as you said i keep an eye on bother things as well. Best wishes.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
mr. softie

I need to add an oz or two of oil now and then between changes, usually after a long hard ride of 300 to 400 miles. I think it is normal as well. I try to check it at every fuel up as part of my ritual. Petcock to "run", trip odometer to zero, oil level... check! I like to see oil in the sight glass for sure, and also check it before a long ride as part of my pre-ride checklist. Tire pressure, bolts tight, (especially the footpeg bolts!) , chain lubed, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
mrlmd1

GZ250 wrote "You are right. It is 100-200ml (1-2 oz) between oil change "

1 oz = 30ml (or cc)
100-200ml is not 1-2 oz but ~3-7 oz.
Adding 10% twice (or 20%) between 3000 mile oil changes seems a little excessive.
Anyone else add this much oil in between regular changes?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
mr. softie

In the last 2500 miles I have added about 6 oz total. I have been using Pennzoil "Outdoor" oil, But am going to use Spectro Golden Heavy Duty synthetic blend at my next change.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
Badbob

I have almost 27,000 miles on my GZ. Oil consumption is high if I ride it hard. WOT (Wide Open Throttle) into a head wind for a hundred miles. High oil consumption meaning I'll probably need to add some between changes if I do this very much. Under normal conditions which I define as no WOT and speeds mostly less than 55 mph oil consumption is minimal.

When I ride a lot at low speeds at temperatures greater then 90 degrees I do see a slight increase in oil consumption. Commuting during the hot Florida Summer for example. I have never had to add any oil when it was hot but I have seen a small drop in the level.

Assuming no leaks, oil consumption depends primarily on two things: The valve guides and piston rings. Piston rings can be worn to the point where they allow the oil to get by them or they can be broken or cracked. Newly rebuilt cylinders can burn oil if not properly honed. Leaking valve seals or worn valve guides can cause excessive oil consumption.

Unless its a large amount of oil. I would not be to concerned unless I start to see oil fowling on my spark plug.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
GZ250

This thread getting interesting - so many views. today oct 13, i will do oil and filter change. This time i will keep an eye and will measure how much oil and how many times I need to add between changes. I tend to keep the oil level a bit high almost in the middle of the sight glass, may be because of that my estimate of volume is more. will update soon.

and as Bob said my oil consumption might be high because i always ride (WOT) into head wind. Speed limit on that single road is 55mph and people like to drive at 60mph or more so i have go at least 55mph.

Thanks anyway. :bow:
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
GZ250

UPDATE:

on Oct 13, 08 I did the oil and filter change at 18000 miles (suzuki oil and filter and O rings). oil level was more towards full mark. today Nov 07, 08 I added atleast 110-120 ml because oil level was near L mark. 18730 miles.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
UPDATE:

on Oct 13, 08 I did the oil and filter change at 18000 miles (suzuki oil and filter and O rings). oil level was more towards full mark. today Nov 07, 08 I added atleast 110-120 ml because oil level was near L mark. 18730 miles.
Sounds like acceptable oil usage. A little fresh oil between changes can't hurt.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
dwh367

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am having a similar problem. When I had my 600 service done at the Suzuki dealer, it hadn't used a drop. I've put 1400 miles on it since then and never thought to check the oil level until today (my bad) and there wasn't any visible in the window! Called the Suzuki dealer and they told me to bring it in. They topped it back off and by the mechanic's admission they are using bulk oil. Could this have contributed to the excessive consumption? They also didn't check the valve tolerances like they were supposed to on the 600 mile service (they only charged me $50 for it if that tells you anything). I was also wondering if that could had also played a part in it. They did give me a quart of the correct Suzuki oil before I left. My riding is mainly 45-55 MPH (with an occasional 60 to 65) down two lane highways and paved county roads.