Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Fawlty

Digital Tachometer

Does anyone have any experience of this type of Tacho? It is cheap and seems easy to install. It also looks as though it could be adapted to fit on the handlebars. There must be a catch somewhere.

Any comments:

The link is only used as an example, as it gives some tech detail. They can be purchased from Amazon and other sites also.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plugs-E ... 3a7b1eaebf

Apologies to the Mods. I should have posted this under Gadgets.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Digital Tachometer

I like that. Not too expensive and easy to hook up. The hour meter is a real bonus. I had an hour meter installed in a truck years ago because I was interested in knowing the amount of running time. I could calculate average speeds too.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Fawlty

I have ordered one of these and I will post an update when received.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Just a thought. If the tach does not look waterproof you could paint the possible water entry points with clear nail polish.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just a thought. If the tach does not look waterproof you could paint the possible water entry points with clear nail polish.

Thanks for that idea. It is supposed to be waterproof, but I will check it out.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I found out the hard way with a digital temp gauge after a couple good rains. Replaced it with a solar power unit from China that was actually better and didn't seem to care if it got wet. For a tiny $5 I had little to loose if it went south after a rain.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
mrlmd1

These things are very simple to hook up - the lead just wraps around the spark plug wire and uses inductance to record the plug firings.
If I remember correctly the GZ is a dual fire ignition system - it fires off a spark every revolution of the engine, so that tach, if it's set for that, will read the rpms correctly. Some of the 4 cycle single cylinder engines only fire on the ignition stroke (every other rpm), so the reading may be half, so keep that in mind when you get a tach.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1

If I remember correctly the GZ is a dual fire ignition system - it fires off a spark every revolution of the engine, so that tach, if it's set for that, will read the rpms correctly. Some of the 4 cycle single cylinder engines only fire on the ignition stroke (every other rpm), so the reading may be half, so keep that in mind when you get a tach.

Will do and many thanks for your advice.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If I remember correctly the GZ is a dual fire ignition system - it fires off a spark every revolution of the engine, so that tach, if it's set for that, will read the rpms correctly.
Yes, you remember correctly.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Fawlty

Here is an update. I ordered one of these on Ebay on 21 Feb. and it arrived from China on 11 March. I paid £8.08 Sterling including International delivery.

I fitted it the same day and it took me about half an hour. It works very well and appears to be accurate using the RPM/Speed charts available on this excellent forum.

As you will see from the photos I fitted it on the left hand handlebar clamp. I used self adhesive velcro strip vertically across the clamp and then secured it firmly using cable ties. This works well and there is no vibration on the unit when travelling at speed. It is easy to read.

There is only one cable to attach and this is simply wrapped around the spark plug lead a few times.

The unit is self powered, using an internal lithium battery. The only down side is that the unit is sealed, so when the battery expires that is it. Having said that, for the price I am not complaining, the battery should last a long time but we will see.

No drilling involved and easy to remove without trace if necessary.

The correct configuration for the GZ is 02 (Spark Plug Fires Once Per Revolution).

Sorry about the quality of the installation and operating instruction photos, but they are readable if you zoom in.