Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
grndslm

Never ridden before, but I just got an '08 GZ 250 w/ 2800 miles... now what?

I rode it home yesterday after trading an old beater I had, altho I put a good amount of money into parts and such. Guy needed a car. I wanted a bike. Hhe gave me a magnetic tank bag, 2 used helmets (one full face without the shield, and one that fits inside the tank bag, and $200. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty fair trade. He was supposed to give me a "$250 riding jacket", but he forgot to bring it since he came nearly 100 miles to bring me the bike.

Anyway... he helped me find first gear as I forgot to shift down and kept stalling out my first 2 attempts at pulling off. Then I made a couple circles in the parking lot. I forgot to hit the clutch lever when shifting into higher gears, because it felt so similar to a 4-wheeler... and there were no clunks or anything. But I eventually started using the clutch lever half way home. I'm assuming the clutch lever is there for a reason.

The tires have great tread left, he said they were new. But the brakes squeal a bit. Will need to check them tomorrow. And he also said that he recently changed the oil, but I'll need to find out how to see if the oil is really clean or not...

Also wondering if I need to turn the fuel supply valve to the off position when I'm done riding it.

Any other basics that I need to know??

There is very minor rust that I'll more than likely be able to remove with steel wool. Only 2 dents in the gas tank and one scrape on the front fender. The left mirror is missing, and the right one is the only thing with enough rust that wouldn't be affected by steel wool. He said that he had ordered a set and would send them to me, but I'm not holding my breath. So after I clean it up and replace the mirrors, this thing is going to look pretty sweet to me. Also, the two buttons on the front seat are missing, but that probably means better comfort for my rear.

Chain and sprockets look to be in good condition, which is something I was worried about with chain-driven bikes. I originally wanted a belt-driven bike, but this will certainly do for a few months.

Anyway, what are some "need to know" things when it comes to operating and maintaining this beautiful and comfortable machine??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
Also wondering if I need to turn the fuel supply valve to the off position when I'm done riding it.

No. The engine vacuum opens and closes the valve automatically via a little vacuum hose between the petcock and the carburator. Just leave it with the blade end pointing forward. Down is PRIme (always open). To the back is REServe. On the road, once the engine starts hesitating and stalling, switch from ON to RES and go get gas. Don't forget to switch it back to ON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

I'd say download the manual and look for the maintenance schedule. Clean and oil the chain, check/adjust valve clearance, check bolt tension, oil cables. Look for the "howto's" in the manual, and here. Use the search.
In your case, check the age of the tires, there is a week and year code (4 digits in all) stamped on the side, when it's over 5 years old, replace tire(s). Inner and outer.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
grndslm

There are inner and outer tires??

Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
mole2

Welcome aboard. The first thing you should do is sign up for the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's the best investment in your safety that you can make.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
blaine

Welcome to the family.Safe riding.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
grndslm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
Welcome aboard. The first thing you should do is sign up for the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's the best investment in your safety that you can make.

Well, I just looked at their locations, and the nearest one is an hour away. I'll probably pass.

The local DMV told me that they offer a $250 course, but I'm not paying that much either. Think it's so expensive because they provide the bikes. But they mentioned some other safety courses that I'm going to assume are cheaper. Will have to call back and get some more info on those for sure, tho.

Insurance company told me that a safety certification would only lower my premiums by $3 a year, tho. That's kinda whack. After getting my endorsement, my premium will be lowered by $5 a year. Then I'll be paying $131 a year for pretty good liability coverage and comprehensive (which includes $3,000 of accessories, of which I have about $100 right now). All in all, I'm having a great experience with my first bike, tho.

Last edited by grndslm; 03-15-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Cathy

Welcome!

I would still suggest schooling regardless. Money means nothing when it comes to survival of life and death.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Welcome!

Money means nothing

It does when you aint got none.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

First thing..............welcome to the sight. Second thing..................get some professional riding instruction. Ask yourself one question. What is my life worth???? You can not just get on and ride. There are just too many factors involved to be a safe rider from the get go.
I can tell from your intro that you are your greatest enemy right now when you consider your experience and enthusiasm. You are inexperienced and want to ride. That is wonderful but don't let the lack of training be your downfall.
Get the proper rider training. It is the best life insurance you will ever buy. Get proper riding gear too. I subscribe to All The Gear All The Time(ATGATT). Full face helmet, gloves, boots, armored riding pants and jacket. You have to have protection if you go down in a mishap. And it can happen in the blink of an eye too.
Everyone here wants you to enjoy the riding experience but not the crash experience. Nor do you want a life long disability due to a crash. That would really suck.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
grndslm

I've ridden motorized bicycles for a few years, so I'm not completely inexperienced. I know that gravity and gravel are my two worst enemies that I must learn to control or avoid all together.

Definitely will be wearing all gear all the time.

Like I said in the OP, was just looking for a quick and dirty intro to operating & maintaining this specific bike. I will definitely reading the manual at some point.... but I only have a few hours a week that I'm "free", so a quick answer to whether or not the fuel valve needs to be rotated and any other "non-obvious" schtuff is all I need. Other than my own practice. Think I'm about to head to a parking lot right now....