Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
supersquid

She might be dead

For the past month my baby has been burning oil like its going out of style (to the rate of like a quart every 100 miles) and I read that I would need to tighten the bolts on the head because it might be leaking oil there. There was a little bit of oil residue so I tighten them up to factory torque specs and hoped for the best. She let burning oil, and now on my way to school she started dying when I'd give her gas. It ended up taking almost 20 minutes to go a mile and a half in no traffic ( usually a 5 minute skip and jump) because I was limited by when she'd go and when she wouldn't. Are these any problems any of y'all have experienced? Is she a project bike now or would a rebuild be in order?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: She might be dead

To burn that much oil that quickly indicates something is very wrong. You must have been like a bluish/gray fog machine driving down the road... Are there not oil puddles under the bike everywhere you park? If there was seepage or a leak, you should have seen it. If it's burning oil through the exhaust, and at that rate, then you have no choice than to rebuild it...

Check and see if your air box is full of oil. There is a drain plug at the bottom of a long hose that sticks out underneath the bike.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
supersquid

I haven't noticed leaking oil, but I could start putting newspaper under it. It usually rides pretty good but this morning it just ran super rough like that. I need it to get to class everyday so I'm not looking forward to having to do a rebuild. I'll check the air box for oil when I get out of class. How much will a rebuild kit run me if I have to get one?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

When you pull that plug, it's possible that a whole crap load of oil will come oozing out of it.
Let's check that first and go from there.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Another question. Are you sure you're checking the oil level right and you aren't overfilling? You know to check the sight glass with the bike sitting level, right?

Well... even if you were checking the sight glass with the bike on the kickstand, that would fool you into thinking the bike was full of oil when it actually wasnt... So never mind.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
supersquid

I just opened the air filter box and there is oil residue at the bottom of it. Not a puddle, but enough down there to cause concern
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
raul10141964

change valve stem seals and piston rings
can be don in one day, not ned to remove the engine from the bike
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Another question. Are you sure you're checking the oil level right and you aren't overfilling? You know to check the sight glass with the bike sitting level, right?

Well... even if you were checking the sight glass with the bike on the kickstand, that would fool you into thinking the bike was full of oil when it actually wasnt... So never mind.
You just had a senior moment Jonathan. Checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand will show a low level. Topping it up to show a full level will actually overfill it. Oil should always be checked with the bike upright. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
supersquid

Raul, what all do i need in the parts department on that? I'm not a super mechanic but am mechanically inclined so I know between the forum and YouTube I could do that in a weekend. I just need to hop on amazon and order the stuff so I can block out a weekend and have a little too much fun
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

You just had a senior moment Jonathan. Checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand will show a low level. Topping it up to show a full level will actually overfill it. Oil should always be checked with the bike upright. Just wanted to clear that up.
Which side is the sight glass on again?...Thanks for clearing that up. It's been a long time. I'm shopping again, though. Anyway...
God, I can't go around giving bad advice. I'll ruin my good name!