Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
fuentes956

Clutch and Ticking noise

Hello, i bought my first bike a month ago a 2005 gz250 with 10,000 miles, and after riding the gz in the neighborhood for the last two weeks i notice a ticking noise and i thought it was a valve adjustment. I went to a friend who works on a motorcycle shop, and he told that he would do a tune up oil & filter change, spark plug, adjust and lube the chain and valve adjustment, The bad: when he drain the oil it only had 1 quart of oil inside, the good:he check the oil with a magnet and there were no metal shavings. So he put (2 quarts of oil) and when i drove it home the cluth started slipping almost all gears but mostly 5th. So i put the bike straight and check the oil level in the window and the oil passes the F line. I called my friend and he says that probaly the clutch is bad because the bike was driven with out to much oil and now that it has oil it is making the clutch slipping. The ticking noise is still there he told me it was probably the cam chain tensioner or the cam chain that is to loose and he also told me that i need to change the head gasket. This is my first bike so i did not know nothing about motorcycles. The guy that i bought it from told me it was in excellent conditions. I will try to make a video of the ticking noise, any help from the experts i would appreciate.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Clutch and Ticking noise

There is far too much oil in the bike. It only needs 1300 ml of oil. It is now overfilled and probably causing the oil to foam up and not actually lube the important parts like it should. Drain the oil out and start over by adding until the level is at the full mark with the bike completely vertical. I would question the mechanic's advice after he got the oil change capacity wrong. It is clearly marked on the side of the engine if I remember correctly. 1300 ml without a filter, 1400 ml with a filter.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
fuentes956

ok i am going to the suzuki dealer to buy new oil and drain the oil, do you thing that is why the clutch is slipping? or the ticking noise? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

You can probaly just use the same oil, just less of it. As for the ticking it may be in need of a valve adjust by now with it's accummulated milage. Do the oil first and get back to us. Keep in mind that there will always be certain engine noises that will always be there.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
alantf

Clutch slipping?........... Let's hope he didn't use "energy conserving" oil. That's the death knell for wet clutches. If I were you, the first thing I'd do is ask him what oil he used. :??:

Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
fuentes956

I bought the oil from the Suzuki dealership it was a 10-40 4 stroke oil Suzuki brand.. And I took evreything to him..
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Rookie Rider

My goodness, he put that much oil in. This is my first bike and i did my own tune up and got the oil done correctly. Hmmm !!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
alantf

Like someone said earlier - the correct amount needed is stamped quite clearly next to the filler hole......Makes you wonder??????????
Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes956
Hello, i bought my first bike a month ago a 2005 gz250 with 10,000 miles, and after riding the gz in the neighborhood for the last two weeks i notice a ticking noise and i thought it was a valve adjustment. I went to a friend who works on a motorcycle shop, and he told that he would do a tune up oil & filter change, spark plug, adjust and lube the chain and valve adjustment, The bad: when he drain the oil it only had 1 quart of oil inside, the good:he check the oil with a magnet and there were no metal shavings. So he put (2 quarts of oil) and when i drove it home the cluth started slipping almost all gears but mostly 5th. So i put the bike straight and check the oil level in the window and the oil passes the F line. I called my friend and he says that probaly the clutch is bad because the bike was driven with out to much oil and now that it has oil it is making the clutch slipping. The ticking noise is still there he told me it was probably the cam chain tensioner or the cam chain that is to loose and he also told me that i need to change the head gasket. This is my first bike so i did not know nothing about motorcycles. The guy that i bought it from told me it was in excellent conditions. I will try to make a video of the ticking noise, any help from the experts i would appreciate.

Thanks
Even down a quart of oil (while obviously not good) I highly doubt your clutch got smoked from low oil. Did you at any time see the oil light come on ? What's the history on this bike did you buy it from a dealer ? Private sale ? It's extremly odd that "all of a sudden" your clutch started slipping. Clutch slippage usually gradually occurs over many miles. I have seen rare cases where full synthetic oil is added to a high mileage bike, or a vintage 25 year old bike and the clutch immediately started slipping, but i don't think this is your case. A GZ250 with 10K should NOT have a slipping clutch even if you did add some synthetic oil. Do you have the cable adjusted correctly ? There should be about a 3/16" gap of free play between the lever and the perch. I'm a little confused on this one. Need more exact occurance details. I'm curious how come the clutch did'nt slip when the mechanic buddy serviced the bike and took it for a test ride (at least the machanic SHOULD have taken the bike for a test ride) ?? :??:
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Did you at any time see the oil light come on ?
I think you're getting confused. The GZ doesn't have an oil light.