Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Cages are always blind

My lesson learned: Cages are blind no matter where you are around them.

I have had many instances where ive been cut off by cages who arent paying attention or bother to look before changing lanes. Even when you can see their eyes in their rear view, you are never safe.

What brings me to this post is a ride i was on a few days ago on a 2 lane highway. I was in the right lane and a cage was in the left about 2 car lengths ahead of me. A motorcycle was behind me in the left lane as well approaching the car. Without even looking, the car zipped to the right lane to make way for the other motorcycle. Not once did it occur that maybe someone was in the right lane (me). I had to give it some brake so i wouldnt run up into her. The motorcycle passing her gave her a nasty look with a headshake of unapproval. She ofcourse, just flung her hands up to me as if "oops, i didnt see you". Thanks, i'll remember that next time im sideswiped by your vehicle because you cant check lanes before changing them.

What im trying to say to new riders is... always keep your bike in a safe zone. Dont ride next to another vehicle. Dont ride on the corners of other vehicles. Even if you have a car length or two, it doesnt guarantee they will see you. I always keep my bike in an invisible cushion when on a 2 lane highway. I give atleast 2 car lengths infront or behind me in either lane. If someone gets in my cushion zone i speed up (within speed limits) or slow down and let them get out of my 'zone'. This minimizes the chance of someone coming into my lane and causing an accident. Ofcourse this cant always be done in heavy traffic .... in that case i keep my motorcycle just past the cars front fender in the other lane. This way i know i have a better chance of them seeing me. Not everyone looks at the sides of their car before switching lanes, but if you are in the windshield area you have a better chance at being seen.

I live by the saying "Ride like you are invisible (to everyone around you)". Make yourself seen and keep yourself in as safe a cushion zone as you can.

Be safe!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Badbob

I keep my following distance at 1 second for each 10 mph. I started doing this after using the 2 second rule they taught in the MSF class I attended for a while. After several tire smoking stops I decided something was not right and I came up with this rule. It works great and I haven't had a panic stop in about 6000 miles of riding.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
kaliron5

Send a message via AIM to kaliron5
Thanks

Great post, thanks!

Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Absolutely correct !! Cagers are blind as Mr. McGoo in the old cartoons. A headlight modulator would be a good safety item if it will fit the 250. Riding these smaller bikes we need all the visibility we can get. I am impressed that Zuk actually put dual filament bulbs in the front signals of a price point bike. I am sure it helps a bit. A Stebel air horn would also be a nice addition and isn't a lot of money either. Heard one, bought one. Going on the Strom come spring. We will see if Lynda wants one on the 250 after she hears the Strom.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
Quote:
I live by the saying "Ride like you are invisible (to everyone around you)". Make yourself seen and keep yourself in as safe a cushion zone as you can.
great advice. I saw a bike wrecked just the other day on the highway a lady on the phone didn't see the poor guy.BTW get off the phone when your driving lady's!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
caroledee1

BTW get off the phone when your driving lady's!

Around here where I live, men have cell phones too! They seem to talk on them while driving just as much!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
badfun

Well then fellas get off the phone and drive! that better?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
caroledee1

Yup. That's more equal and fair. I like to shoot also. Be glad when spring is here for riding and shooting season. But not both at the same time!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
badfun

ahhhhh spring for about 6 months strait would be nice.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Comike14

So true. I've had several instances where quick reactions and having a good place to go have saved my life.

Most recently, just making my way through a parking lot along the store front, some SUV decides to come out of one of the lanes in the lot--right into me. He never even looked at what was coming from the right. I laid on the horn (before I got the air horn blaster) and swerved off into the lane reserved for firetrucks. He looks at me like, "What the hell is your problem."

Another thing I learned from this is that it's a good idea to let it go and just know people are going to do stupid things, then act like it's your fault. I followed him to where he eventually parked, and we had ourselves a confrontation. Not worth it, in hindsight. Lesson learned.