Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
mormorbistro

GZ250 Basic Toolkits. Buy one or assemble my own?

So I didn't see this discussed on the forum but with my new 250 I'd like to have a basic tool kit under the seat or inside my handle bar bag for possible roadside repairs. I am yet to inventory all the various needs for wrench sizing etc.. (I hate the crescent unless in a pinch) - but I'm assuming a few size appropriate wrenches, pliers, screwdriver, and deep plug socket ate the bare essentials? Does Suzuki sell a model specific kit or should I just piece one together? If so does anyone have on hand the basic list of tool sizes and needs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
FLAJIM

The GZ250 came with a basic tool kit under the seat in a pouch. Not the greatest but good for road size fixes, loose mirrors or bolts. As always best to repair and maintain the bike before the ride. I am away from the bike now so I can't list what in there now. I would keep an eye out on eBay and the for sale section here for Suzuki kit. For me on my larger bikes I have a Cruz tool kit, made very well and pack small. A leatherman knife is the bikers best friend, I am always using one for something.

When I get back from vacation if no one lists whats in the kit, I will,

Be Safe JIM
Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
mormorbistro

Thanks Jim that would be great!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
mormorbistro

:

Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
spldart

Tools above the yellow paper is what was in my zuki supplied kit. Tools below I added. The paper and two pieces of metal below are for setting my valve lash.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zuki_tools.jpg (98.2 KB, 72 views)

Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
Tools above the yellow paper is what was in my zuki supplied kit. Tools below I added. The paper and two pieces of metal below are for setting my valve lash.

Throw out the rubber pliers and wrenches. Replace them with better quality tools for a few bucks. Add small pair of vise grips, 6 feet of wire and some zip ties. Electrical tape and a couple more spare fuses. A spare headlight bulb is a must for me. On the GZ you will find a stubby screwdriver is a must for changing the bulb.

Another thing I used to do years ago was carrying a 1/4 in drive set of sockets and a couple extensions. That and 2 or 3 screwdriver tips to fit the drive are a bonus for roadside repairs. I never needed it for my bike but I repaired my riding buddy's bike many times.

With some out of the box thinking you can carry a lot of stuff that won't get in your way. A friend of mine here is a master at tool storage. Some wrenches get taped to the frame/downtubes. Other stuff is held on with hose clamps. That was with his BMW HP2 adventure bike. Now with his Ural sidecar rig he carries more variety in a larger tool box and can be seen helping others who have broken down.

When I had my Vstrom 650 I was amazed to find that I could put both full size wrenches for chain adjustments under the seat. Oh, and spare cotter keys for the axle nut. Also had room for a 12 volt compressor and a tubeless tire repair kit. Blue Nitril rubber gloves tucked in nicely too. Rarely used my tool kit on the road but it was my security blanket of sorts.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Oh my I feel a little stupid. One item I forgot to add is a LED flashlight. They aren't destroyed by vibration and pack in small spaces.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
mormorbistro

Thanks for all these great ideas and info.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
dtrillo

Tools I have so far.

Hi!

My bike did not come with a manual or took kit so I've been piecing things together for my own set up. Hoping a 'shopping' list will save someone a lot of time.

Wrenches and Sockets (with an extension and adapter for the 8)
8,10,12,14,15 & 17 and 5/8 spark plug socket

Allan Wrenches
4 & 6

Needle Nose Pliers, Small Vice Grips, Crescent Wrench
Leatherman's tool (swiss army knife type thing)

Small can of WD-40
Marker
Red electrical tape (to remind me to properly fix later)

Will eventually include
Spare blade fuses 20, 15, & 10
Head light bulb H4

Anything Else one should add?
Please list specifics (sizes, part numbers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tools for gz250.jpg (61.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 03:35 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrillo View Post
Hi!

My bike did not come with a manual or took kit so I've been piecing things together for my own set up. Hoping a 'shopping' list will save someone a lot of time.

Wrenches and Sockets (with an extension and adapter for the 8)
8,10,12,14,15 & 17 and 5/8 spark plug socket

Allan Wrenches
4 & 6

Needle Nose Pliers, Small Vice Grips, Crescent Wrench
Leatherman's tool (swiss army knife type thing)

Small can of WD-40
Marker
Red electrical tape (to remind me to properly fix later)

Will eventually include
Spare blade fuses 20, 15, & 10
Head light bulb H4

Anything Else one should add?
Please list specifics (sizes, part numbers)
Do you have tools for loosening the rear axle nut in case you need to do a chain adjust on the road? Maybe half a dozen zip ties too. I used one to secure a dozen inside the fairing of my Vstrom. Oh while my mind is still working. The hollow backbone of the frame(under the tank)will hold long things you might want to have on board. The rear of the tube is visible with the seat removed. Might be a fine spot for your zip ties. Also a great place to snug in a relay if you add lights or heated grips. The relay body fits nicely and the connectors all point out and are close to the battery.
To really determine if you have a set up for emergency tools there is an easy solution. Do all your required maintenance with your kit. If you are missing something you will know soon enough.
I also added a couple valve cores for the tires and a R/R tool. It came in real handy at home one day. My front tire was looking very low. Discovered the valve core had met a slow death over night and only the valve cap was holding the remaining air. R/R the core, pump up the tire and off to the twisties again.
You may never need your kit in an emergency with your own bike but there is always the other guy on the side of the road who might need a helping hand.
Carry on dtrillo, your are lookin good so far.