Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
dentheman

Hey youngsters, get those injuries treated!

I was young once, and suffered the typical injuries of the active life at work and play. And being young and invincible, I often didn't go to the emergency room for a twisted ankle or pulled muscle. Being young, the injuries healed quickly and I went about my business.

But now I am 60. Some of those injuries have come back to haunt me over the last few years. The knee that I twisted badly in my 20's 'healed' and gave me no problem for many years, but now it is back. Sometimes I have some pain just walking my dog (I did get medical attention for that one). The ankle that I twisted riding my mountain bike was 'home medicated' and healed, but if I step a certain way there is a twinge of pain.

I will be taking the MSF course this fall, but I have some concern in the back of my mind that my fear of reinjury or pain could have some bearing on whether I pass or fail. Will I subconsciously hesitate to put my foot down if I need too? Or maybe not lean as much as I should? Time will tell. Maybe I have no business riding a motorcycle, that thought has crossed my mind. But I am determined to give it a shot.

The bottom line is: Be carefull, and get your injuries treated, especially bone joint injuries. They may come back to haunt you. (Maybe this should be posted under General)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hey youngsters, get those injuries treated!

This is the place. You learned a lesson, it just took a while. Your previous injuries might/might not hamper riding but there is only one real way to find out. Knee braces, proper riding boots and the like can help with strength issues. I am bad for slouching when riding and the insuing back ache. I did wear a kidney belt for a while but a proper backrest on the Vstrom solved that.
Got trouble ?? We will endeavor to satisfy.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
dentheman

Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the kidney belt and backrest, I sometimes have lower back pain (also) and didn't think of those devices. Is there a backrest that will fit the GZ?...EDIT: Well, I'm back after spending some time searching for motorcycle backrests. I didn't find any for the GZ on-line, but there is at least one nice home-made one on THIS forum, including the plans.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the kidney belt and backrest, I sometimes have lower back pain (also) and didn't think of those devices. Is there a backrest that will fit the GZ?...EDIT: Well, I'm back after spending some time searching for motorcycle backrests. I didn't find any for the GZ on-line, but there is at least one nice home-made one on THIS forum, including the plans.
If you don't have intentions of carrying a passenger there is another option. Put a hard trunk on the back in place of the passenger seat. A trunk is handy to have and makes an excellant back rest.