Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Comike14

Another lesson, quick on the heels of the last

Hey all,
OK, so my luck finally ran out.

I was in a one-lane traffic circle behind another car, when another car entered the circle going the wrong way. The lady in front of me slammed on her brakes, and I slammed on mine. Of course, being in a tight circle I was leaning and therefore lost complete control (the tightness of the curve didn't allow the distance for me to straighten up). I wasn't going too fast, nor was I following too closely, but the physics of the situation made for an unfortunate scene.

My bike started going down, and all went slow motion. I saw the rear of the car in front of me approaching, and realized that I simply could NOT be on my bike at impact. Just as my left peg was scraping and the bike was spinning counter-clockwise, I jumped off and flew over the trunk of the car. I could hear my bike scraping and sliding. I vaulted over her car, and ended up landing on the road near the front passenger-side tire of the car in front of me, face to face with the lady from the wrong direction.

When I landed, I instinctively put my hands out (I didn't roll like I should have) and managed to sprain both wrists, and tear some muscles in my biceps and pecs, which absorbed most of the impact. This happened last Wednesday, and I'm still in pretty severe pain. My poor bike slid almost completely under the car, and the appraiser totaled it out yesterday. Today, a salvage yard is picking it up. It breaks my heart.

I've decided to throw in the towel for now. I'm lucky to be alive. Had I stayed with the bike, I would definitely have broken something, if not been killed. As it was, thanks to quick thinking, all my gear, and a lot of God, I broke nothing and lost no blood.

---------------------------------------------
So, what did I learn?

Again, all the gear all the time. The Kevlar gloves saved me from skin grafts on my hands. The Kevlar itself was worn down to mere threads, but my skin remained intact. My triple-layered jeans did the same for my legs, the armored jacket for my torso, and obviously the full-faced helmet for my noggin. Always, always wear all the gear.

Never grow complacent. No matter how well you can handle a bike, you never know when someone will do something that will require your FULL attention. I was riding into work that morning with the same attitude that I drive a car. That is, I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and I didn't allow enough room in the circle to avoid what happened. A car would have been fine, but not so on the bike. Obviously it could have been avoided if the lady didn't go the wrong way in the circle, but it also could have been avoided had I ridden more safely.
---------------------------------------------

I am lucky I wasn't more seriously injured, and I'm lucky to be alive. Don't let this scare you or discourage you. Just please take my experience and apply it to your riding so you can avoid such accidents.

Again, I'm throwing in the towel, at least for a while. Take care all.

BTW, for the curious, I wasn't charged with anything, but the wrong-way lady ran off and police never caught her. The case is now closed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
LilNinja77

Very very sorry to hear about this, hope you recover quickly and completely. Glad to hear though, that you weren't hurt more seriously. Don't feel bad about "throwing in the towel", you gotta do what you gotta do; and being alive is more important than riding a motorcycle. Actually one of the reasons I'm "throwing in the towel" for a while as well.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Moedad

Dang, Mike, that sucks. I can completely understand wanting to hang it up after something like that. I hope your healing is swift with no lingering problems.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Sarris

Your Accident

Yo Comike;

I'm sorry that you've had an accident and I'm really glad you weren't badly hurt. I'm also glad that you understand your shortcomings as a rider as well as the dynamics of the wreck situation. I do, however, feel your as though decision to "throw in the towel" was made in haste and out of fear. If everytime we fell down while learning to walk we were to "throw in the towel" we would be a world full of people who crawl. Did you not fall off your bicycle whilst learning? Did you "throw in the towel" there? Have you ever wrecked a car? Did you "throw in the towel" there too?

Jeez bro, you've posted less than 20 times on the forum so I assume you are quite new to motorcycling. Are you sure you've given this enough time? Competent motorcycling skills are aquired over years not months. There are as you know, only two types of bikers, those that have wrecked and those that are going to wreck. You could view it as getting your wreck out of the way sooner rather than later. I encourage you to get back on and go for it again. This time be more attentive and remember the lessons you have learned.

Dude, it's your ass, you can do with it as you see fit, but us long time bikers (not "motorcycle enthusiasts") will tell you it takes a certain mettle to continue riding after an accident. We bikers understand that, do you?

:sad:
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Uh, Sarris....

...The guy has had TWO crashes in less than a month. I'm not a believer, but maybe the universe is telling him something. In any case, I think maybe I'd let him heal up a bit before encouraging to get back on. The choice to take the risk of riding is one best made by the rider. I'm sure he feels darn crappy right now and, although I know you meant well, it just seemed a bit harsh to be calling him out while he's still nursing his wounds.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: Another lesson, quick on the heels of the last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
I wasn't going too fast, nor was I following too closely, but the physics of the situation made for an unfortunate scene.

Obviously it could have been avoided if the lady didn't go the wrong way in the circle, but it also could have been avoided had I ridden more safely.
Aw, crap!
Bad break....but good that nothing is really broken!

The above two statements tend to conflict with each other and I tend to agree more with the second one. I can't help but wonder if there wouldn't have been a rear-ender even if you had been in a cage.

Give it plenty of time to heal before you think about going back. Some just can't......and some can't imagine NOT doing it. Only you knows what is right for YOU.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Re: Your Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I encourage you to get back on and go for it again.
So says Sarris, standing over a sky-diver's hospital bed after his chute failed to open............. :oops:

Not your finest moment.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Sarris

Ya Think?

There are some people that will never master the skills it takes to ride and survive on a motorcycle. The bike world has way too many wanna be's, and in this time of economic hardship and high gas prices there are now more of them than ever. Some are a danger to themselves and others around them. Natural selection almost always culls the herd, so if you can't take what the road dishes up, you're better off in a car. Life is a bit harsh don't ya think??

My statements are really meant to encourge the fellow not to make his decisions in haste, out of fear. I'm not trying to get him in the saddle tomorrow, I just want to make him understand that now is not the best time to make that decision. I've seen more 30 day riders come and go than I can shake a stick at. If he never rides again it's no skin off my nose.

I picked out and purchased my last HD while still in a wheelchair and had it delivered 45 days before I was allowed to walk, but that is the difference between a real biker and a motorcycle enthusiast.

No offense meant, just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it......... nothing.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

As I said elsewhere...

...I defer to your superior experience and ball dimensions.

FYI, I ski single and double diamonds (and I ain't that great) and I have never broken anything on the slopes in 25 years, and, I guess I don't really expect to - until it happens. Hope the same is true for the GZ. Did I mention I'm sort of a pussy?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Sarris

Huh??

Oh please, you're killin' me. BTW, anyone who rides has to have balls in this day and age of shitty driving.

:lol: :lol: