Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Orpheus

Traffic automated turn arrows

Anybody have any experience with getting a ticket for running a light at a traffic-automated signal? The other night, on the way home from work, I waited through three full cycles of a traffic light without getting a green arrow, so I ran the light without knowing that there was a traffic camera at that intersection(until I saw the flash). Most of the lights around here have this problem, and usually a car will pull up beside me that triggers the signal, but the other night, on my way home from work, the roads were empty and I got tired of waiting. It seems that there is some sort of provision for this situation in most states, and I think I'll argue that the light was malfunctioning and I proceeded through the light under that assumption. If there was a living, breathing officer at the scene, I probably wouldn't have gotten a ticket at all, but since there was a camera, I'll probably have to take it to court and fight it. Any thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Sarris

Traffic Light Sensors

Yo Orph;

There is some discussion on site for this issue. It may be helpful.

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=893

Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Orpheus

I knew I'd seen that before; just forgot that it was here :blush:

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Re: Traffic automated turn arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I waited through three full cycles of a traffic light without getting a green arrow, so I ran the light without knowing that there was a traffic camera at that intersection(until I saw the flash).
I have one question. If there were 3 "cycles", why didn't you "run" it when the traffic from your direction had the "normal" green ?? In that case, the camera should not have tripped.......I would think.

I'm assuming this is marked: Left on arrow only.
If not, I have a different question!

P.S. You should also report it so it can be adjusted.......and so they will have a record of your report, should you actually get a ticket in the mail.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
I waited through three full cycles of a traffic light without getting a green arrow, so I ran the light without knowing that there was a traffic camera at that intersection(until I saw the flash).
I have one question. If there were 3 "cycles", why didn't you "run" it when the traffic from your direction had the "normal" green ?? In that case, the camera should not have tripped.......I would think.

I'm assuming this is marked: Left on arrow only.
If not, I have a different question!

P.S. You should also report it so it can be adjusted.......and so they will have a record of your report, should you actually get a ticket in the mail.
I was facing a circular steady green light, but this is one of those intersections where the left-turn arrow is independent of the circular green (with a "left turn on arrow only" sign above the arrow, as you stated), and the arrow is only actuated when the left turn sensor detects a vehicle in the turn lanes, so I was facing a red left turn arrow in my lane and the other turn lane beside me, and a steady circular green for the north/southbound lanes (I was northbound turning eastbound).
I wrote an email to the city's traffic enforcement division as well as the city's transportation department and an officer called me today who was very sympathetic but ultimately couldn't help me at all; he basically told me that I could try to fight it and hope that I get a judge who might be sympathetic.

I'm going to try to videotape this late one night for my defense if I do end up getting a ticket in the mail.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
I'm going to try to videotape this late one night for my defense if I do end up getting a ticket in the mail.
It might not be as hard to fight as you think. The placement of the cameras does not change the basic laws that are in effect. Most places have a "malfunctioning control device" exception. Alas, some places that put in the cameras made the tickets a CIVIL matter with any appeals to some kind of "panel" and not a real Judge. I would trust a judge more than some beauracrats on a panel.

Hopefully a human being with a brain is screening the things and you will never hear anything from it.
In the mean time, you might want to check on the exception and appeal.........just incase.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
davtnn

We hav the same thing here ... the only lights in town and they have a trip tredle to activate turn arrows.. the GZ will not trip the light .. i have to wait for a car to come along .. i have tried all positions to get it to activate.. no luck// SO i just back up and make a right go to the next road and do a U turn... I am going to talk to some one in city hall but that will only cause a bunch of confusion... (this place aint normal anyway... )
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
It might not be as hard to fight as you think. The placement of the cameras does not change the basic laws that are in effect. Most places have a "malfunctioning control device" exception. Alas, some places that put in the cameras made the tickets a CIVIL matter with any appeals to some kind of "panel" and not a real Judge. I would trust a judge more than some beauracrats on a panel.

Hopefully a human being with a brain is screening the things and you will never hear anything from it.
In the mean time, you might want to check on the exception and appeal.........just incase.
I checked the Arizona Revised Statutes and there is a provision for "inoperative" lights, but I don't know if this exactly covers my situation. Here's the relevant text:

C. The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection that has an official traffic control signal that is inoperative shall bring the vehicle to a complete stop before entering the intersection and may proceed with caution only when it is safe to do so. If two or more vehicles approach an intersection from different streets or highways at approximately the same time and the official traffic control signal for the intersection is inoperative, the driver of each vehicle shall bring the vehicle to a complete stop before entering the intersection and the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the driver of the vehicle on the right.

Hopefully you're right and I don't even receive a ticket.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Tonckawa

Most traffic signals these days have buried sensors to detect when a vehicle (metal) is present. Modern technology uses these buried sensors to detect when a vehicle is waiting. You can identify these lights by the square or round saw cuts in the pavement. They're most prevalent in left turn lanes. I'm sure you know what I mean. These buried sensors work a lot like a metal detector, relying on "seeing" some metal to interrupt their magnetic field to let them know someone is there to activate the traffic light changer circuitry. There just are not enough steel parts in a motorcycle for the sensors to see you. If they can't see your bike, they'll never change for you.

There is a device called a Motorcyclist's Buddy or something similiar. It is a magnet and helps the sensor detect you.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
finallyinthesaddle

Green Light Trigger HP

The Green Light Trigger HP is one of many devices that is supposed to let stoplights "see" us. I have one on order and will let you all know how it works.

The town I live in has no less that 30 stoplights, and it is next to impossible for me to (quickly) get to work without going through at least one of them. Pretty much anywhere I want to go in town requires tripping the sensor, and I seem to always want to turn at stoplights that no one else wants to use. Just last week I had to go 4 minutes out of my way (after waiting for two full cycles at a stoplight during "rush hour" [used loosely]) just to get to the bike shop.