Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
marzzy

fuel shut off?

I am a new member. I am wondering why there is no fuel shut off. Is there a replacement petcock so the fuel may be completely shut off? This may be the best control of carb gum ups and "no starts"

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: fuel shut off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzy
I am a new member. I am wondering why there is no fuel shut off. Is there a replacement petcock so the fuel may be completely shut off? This may be the best control of carb gum ups and "no starts"
Welcome, newbie! :rawk:

Is the GZ your first bike......or just the first one in a long time?

For about 20 years or so, the fuel shutoff on bikes has been automatic; it is inside the petcock and is vacume controlled; there is a little hose on the back of the petcock going to the "intake manifold".

In the ON and RES settings, the automatic cutoff works. In the PRIme setting, it does not; that is, fuel flows even when the engine is OFF. SO.......unless you leave it on the PRIme setting during storage, an excess amount of fuel will NOT evaporate in the carb (bowl)........unless the petcock is broken, that is.

Browse around a bit; I'm sure you will find other things interesting and informative......and some things funny and a few depressing. If you can ignore the BS, it really is a good place to hang out.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
marzzy

yes, it is my first bike. I had a phone converstion with my brother and he said it should have a shut off....he has a Harley and it has a shutoff. So I stand corrected. Does anyone think that "gas stabilizer" actually keeps the carb from gumming up?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
mr. softie

I might use a fuel stabilizer if the bike is going to be sitting/stored for months at a time with fuel in it. It is better to drain the fuel in that case. For normal use I just use regular gas, with the addition of 1 ounce of "seafoam" or the like for each gallon of gas once every third or fourth tankful. As Easy Rider explained, the GZ does have a shut off, called a petcock in techno speak, that operates automatically as a safety feature.

In this photo the petcock is in "RUN" position.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
It is better to drain the fuel in that case.
The overwhelming consensus is that draining the tank is NOT a good thing to do.......unless maybe the bike is stored in a temp. controlled environment. In your typical garage, the temp. and humidity changes enough to cause water to condense INSIDE the gas tank. Once it starts rusting, you have a serious problem. The recommendation is to fill it as full as possible and use stabilizer. Draining the float bowls is not a bad idea though.

Fuel stabilizer is recommeneded only for gas that will be stored more than 30 days, in or out of a vehicle. I agree with occasional use of carb CLEANER to keep things from gumming up.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Riding it often is usually the best way to keep the carb from "gumming up" though. Keep a regular flow of fresh gas through it and everything should be fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Riding it often is usually the best way to keep the carb from "gumming up" though. Keep a regular flow of fresh gas through it and everything should be fine.

Well.....DUH !!! :roll: :biggrin:
Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
mr. softie

Good point on the empty tank rusting up Easy Rider. I had heard that before. Brain Cramp!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
mrlmd1

Not only is rust a possibility with an empty tank stored for an extended period in cold weather, but you can accumulate small amounts of water in the fuel tank, sitting on the bottom, which is not a good idea.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Sandmonkee

Can anyone tell me how to drain the float bowl? The manual tells how to remove it, but not how to just drain it. I did a search here on the forums and couldn't find anything either.
Thanks!