Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
raul10141964

Re: fuel shut off?

disconnect the vacuum line an run the bike until the engine stop

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Sandmonkee

Wow, its that easy? I was looking all over the place under there for a drain screw, lol.

If I'm going to store the bike for the winter, is it better to drain the bowl, or leave it full of gas/stabilizer mix? Where I live its not unusual to see -40C during the winter, and the bike will basically be outside under a tarp.

Edited to add: As stabilzer, I basically added about a quarter can of Seafoam to the tank, then filled it to the very top and drove it the few km home.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmonkee
Wow, its that easy? I was looking all over the place under there for a drain screw, lol.

If I'm going to store the bike for the winter, is it better to drain the bowl, or leave it full of gas/stabilizer mix? Where I live its not unusual to see -40C during the winter, and the bike will basically be outside under a tarp.

Edited to add: As stabilzer, I basically added about a quarter can of Seafoam to the tank, then filled it to the very top and drove it the few km home.
You are better off leaving it as is,filled & SeaFoam added.
:2tup:

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Take the time to remove the battery and store it inside in a warm place. You should also order a Battery Tender and top up the battery once a month for an hour of so. A Tender is a lot cheaper than a new battery every Spring. Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:
You also may want to lube the chain for protection against the elements. You will be ready to go in the Spring once you top up the tires to the right pressure.

Almost forgot. Cap or plug the end of the muffler too. The muffler could be a great winter home for small critters.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Sandmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Take the time to remove the battery and store it inside in a warm place. You should also order a Battery Tender and top up the battery once a month for an hour of so. A Tender is a lot cheaper than a new battery every Spring. Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:
You also may want to lube the chain for protection against the elements. You will be ready to go in the Spring once you top up the tires to the right pressure.

Almost forgot. Cap or plug the end of the muffler too. The muffler could be a great winter home for small critters.
Do you have a camera at my house? I did all of those things this very afternoon! Even the rag shoved in the muffler - that is definitely a good call.
But yah, battery is in the basement, and I have a tender as well.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like my bike is ready for the winter!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Do you have a camera at my house? I did all of those things this very afternoon! Even the rag shoved in the muffler - that is definitely a good call.
But yah, battery is in the basement, and I have a tender as well.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like my bike is ready for the winter!
No camera till spring. I don't want to leave foot prints in the snow. :biggrin:
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Sandmonkee

Ha, if you're in Squamish, you might just see snow before us here in Ottawa! (on top of that giant cliff there anyways)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Ha, if you're in Squamish, you might just see snow before us here in Ottawa! (on top of that giant cliff there anyways)
Raining here now with too much cloud cover to see the mountains. The giant cliff is The Chief. 2nd largest piece of solid granite in the world. The Chief has over 50 climbs to choose from on it's west face. I personally have met the record holder for fastest climb. Oh boy is he in good physical shape. Peder is one of our home grown locals who is world reknown in the climbing circles. Peder has been know to do the climb 4 times in one day by running down the back side of the Chief and starting over again. He called it training for a real climb elsewhere in the world. SAY WHAT !!!!!!
Walking the backside footpath is on my bucket list. The bottom half is the hard part and Lynda managed that earlier this year with a friend before running out of energy.
The pic was taken from the Chief but I can't remember who took it. I do know it wasn't me. :lol: