Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
Skunkhome

Re: Making a Cafe Racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigginton49
Guys i appreciate your comments but what i really need is suggestion and helpful tips. Negative comments don't really help the process.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are wanting from us. Cruisers and cafe racers are two different bikes from the frame up. That is like asking us for advise on how to make to make a '67 VW Beatle out of a Toyota Camry. Now if you were trying to make a cafe racer out of a TU250 or some other standard cycle then that is another matter all together.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Jvacustoms

Start by removing all body parts. Then chop the fenders and make a custom driver seat using the back pillon seat as the drivers reverse the drivers seat to the back and cut the foam as required. Re stretch cover and staple take tank off and sell it on here. Buy an old cafe style tank from salvage yard clean it install it. Remove handle bars and replace with broomstick type straight bar replacement and buy a small sport fairing for custom shop. Paint as desired and ride around. Until your hearts content

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #23
Rookie Rider

Perfect. There ya go !!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
Start by removing all body parts. Then chop the fenders and make a custom driver seat using the back pillon seat as the drivers reverse the drivers seat to the back and cut the foam as required. Re stretch cover and staple take tank off and sell it on here. Buy an old cafe style tank from salvage yard clean it install it. Remove handle bars and replace with broomstick type straight bar replacement and buy a small sport fairing for custom shop. Paint as desired and ride around. Until your hearts content

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
You need to also modify the frame to add support members for the seat to get it up on a straight line from the head tube to the crest of the rear fender. Next you need to cut off the drivers pegs and rear brake pedal and re-weld them to the frame approximately 12" rearward to the rear edge of the main frame putting them under the rider rather than in front. That will also mean you will need to rework the shifter and probably have it attached directly to the transmission shifter shaft.
Sounds simple enough to me.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
Hello!

One of the members made hell of a caferacer from gz... Check it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4786

greetings
I think calling these modifications a "cafe racer" is a bit of a misnomer. It ia a very interesting modification and is quite retro. Rather than being a "cafe racer" it looks like a 1930's vintage British motorcycle similar to The Matchless Silver Hawk or Royal Enfield.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
Skunkhome

You may want to follow this thread started by "ruxpin76"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4016
So far he has photos of his tear down but I am interested is seeing how he reshapes the frame and moves the foot pegs back. I should be interesting to see how he progresses.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Wigginton49

Guys these are all great comments. Thanks so much for your feedback. I have my bike at the mechanic right now to make the first adjustments. I'll post pics whenever i get it back.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
winsmiles

I too like the look of the Thruxton-tried to copy that same look without modifying the peg position which I find really comfortable for long rides-check out the photo at the new members post-Nick.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsmiles
I too like the look of the Thruxton-tried to copy that same look without modifying the peg position which I find really comfortable for long rides-check out the photo at the new members post-Nick.
You raised the seat which probably makes a world of difference on a longer ride.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsmiles
I've seen your bike and it is a pretty remarkable transformation. It shows that you really understand the concept even though you left the pegs forward.