Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Rookie Rider

Re: I did it! I cut my muffler off and added a new one.

Thank you for those links.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Rookie Rider

Oops, your link told me i can get em at the dealers.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Rookie Rider

But what do u suggest be done first ?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I would buy a 125, a 130 and a 135.
My money is on the 125 or 130. I think 135 would be a little rich for just a muffler replacement.

Just walk into the Suzuki shop (Any bike store really) and tell them you need a few main jets.
3 jets should run you about $12-15.

You can access the carb for this procedure by turning it sideways. you don't have to fully take it off. When you pull the float bowl, some gas will spill out. Don't freak out.

I may be a little off, since it's been a little while, but the procedure goes like this:
1. Remove Seat
2. Unbolt tank
3. Pull tank vac lines
4. Loosen carb boots on both side of the carb (head side and intake side. Then just tilt the thing towards the left hand side of the bike.
5. Using a good quality phillips bit, remove the float bowl. (Don't strip these. They are a bitch. If you feel like it might strip, use vice grips)
6. Using a good quality flat head, remove the main jet and screw in the new one. (Yep. It's that simple.)
7. Installation is the reverse of removal.

A little trick to lose less gas when you pull the bowl is to turn the petcock to off and run the bike until it dies.
When you go to start the bike up next, it will take a while for the gas to fill the bowl again so it might seem hard to start that first time.

I would start with the 125 and then do the 130 if that seems to lean.
Once you get her running, take her out on a run and see how she responds at full throttle. After that, if you are satisfied with the performance, then you can worry about pudlding with the pilot or midrange. But the main jet needs to be done first.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Rookie Rider

thanks alot for all this info. my petcock dont say off anywhere on it, i just put it horizontal and assume its off. when im about to ride i turn it downward. it didnt come with the bike obviously.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
?....

A little trick to lose less gas when you pull the bowl is to turn the petcock to off and run the bike until it dies.
When you go to start the bike up next, it will take a while for the gas to fill the bowl again so it might seem hard to start that first time.

That is strange my GZ only has three positions Run, Prime, and Reserve. There is no turning off the petcock on my bike. If yours is like mine you could leave the petcock on Run and disconnect the vacuum line (plug line with golf tee) then run the engine till it runs out. On the restart you set the petcock to Prime and it will fill the carb bowl without having to crank. Once it starts return petcock to Run.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
Rookie Rider

i dont know, im nervous cause i dont want gas all over the place, mine has wierd shapes as numbers, close to roman numerals.I think turning all the way to the right is reserve, middle (horizontal) is off and turned to left downward is where i leave it when riding.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Skunkhome

I'm sorry I mis-stated the markings. The petcock is marked ON, PRI and RES. not Run.
This is what mine looks like: it is a vacuum actuated petcock.

This Is the ON position: no fuel will flow unless a vacuum is delivered to the petcock-this is normal riding position

This is Reserve position: no fuel will flow unless a vacuum is delivered to the petcock

This is the Prime position: fuel will flow to the carb when ever the petcock is in this position. Fuel flow is always on in this position.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
Rookie Rider

Yeah, mine is different. I will put pics up of my petcock tonight. Thank you for the pics. Always helpful.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You guys are right. I forgot about the GZ not having an off setting.
Like I said, it's been a long time

There isn't too much gas in the float bowl, so don't feel like opening it is going to suddenly result in a rehashing of Noah's flood. It's going to spill out, but it's only a couple of tea spoons full, if that.

Leaving it in "run", as suggested, would be the best thing to do. When in run, gas only flows when the engine is creating vacuum. When it's off, you'll only lose a drip or two to gravity.