Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Goose51683

Repositioning shocks

Hey guys, I have been thinking about replacing my two rear shocks with on beefier shock that is located under the seat and mounts just ahead of the wheel. I've already removed the rear fender and have repositioned some of the fuse boxes etc under the seat. I think a shock could fit but I am unsure of what size shock would work for this. I know the length I would most likely need but I've never replaced a shock and I'm not sure if their is a weight requirement I would need to fulfill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Repositioning shocks

So you're wanting to go to central mono-shock, similar to most sportbikes?

I would voice a little concern over this. The frames dynamics and geometry of the bike is kind of already taken into account with the traditional setup. Stress points, for example, are beefed up based on the stock location of the rear shocks. I don't even know if it would function properly on this bike.

I know people have upgraded their rear shocks and some people have converted over to hard tail or even dropped the rear end, but I don't think anyone has done this.

Do you have any mounting points in mind?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

I have serious doubts about a monoshock set up. The frame and swing arm were designed for 2 outboard shocks. You are talking some serious engineering here to accomplish the project.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Goose51683

Thanks guys, it was just an idea I was playing with, haven't done much research into it yet. Maybe I'll hold off on this one. I still think it would be doable but I'm sure I would need to add some extra frame reinforcement.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I can't envision where you would mount this....

You'd need to design some dog-bones or something in order to get this mono-shock to function properly.

I did all kinds of work on my old Ninja 250 working on ride height and finding a good spring rate for me... I'm actually very pleased that the GZ had two basic loadable rear shocks. Like is so much easier like that

Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Goose51683

How about this Jonathan. what if you took the top connection points for your shocks and remounted those together in a more central location under the seat. You would have to weld in some connection points. Again, just thinking outside of the box. It might be of note that I already went towards a bobber style where I'd gutted the interior behind the engine. All I have is the battery mounted just behind the motor. the rest is open at this point.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah, I was looking at your photos and I see what you're saying. But our swing-arms only have one pivot point and there isn't a lot of room in front of the rear tire to add a mount for the base of the proposed monoshock.

You could possibly weld some mounts to the bottom side of each swing arm side and then custom build some dog bones and come through the bottom of the old battery tray and then make some sort of bracket for the top shock mount, but I think it's a lot of work for something that is only going to result in unproven suspension characteristics and might not even work. I mean, if your welds aren't perfect or the alignment isn't right, it's just going to fuck up the ride.

I'm all for thinking outside the box. But I also don't want you to follow an idea down some endless rabbit hole to Nowheresville.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Goose51683

Have you ever seen or heard of anyone extending the frame to the rear axle.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Not on these bikes. We've had several good modders come through the site and show off their stuff, but nothing as extreme as a frame extension.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Goose51683

Well I'm in the unique position that my wife will probably never give in enough for me to get another bike so every crazy idea I have will be tested out on a GZ250!