Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13
did an oil change, oh s@#t

ok, so i just got finished with a nice new oil change/spark plug combo. i have a few issuses id like to ask about because im about to take the demon rat across this fair country...

first, when i took the filter plate off the #3 acorn nut (lowest one) took forever, then it finally came, and brought the bolt with it. from what i could tell it was just a double threaded bolt, so i didnt worry TOO much, but i did take care when putting it back on. now when i went to put everything back together, the #3 bolt/nut combo went in just fine till it came to tightening. i got it to where it was almost snug, an it just kept spinning. now it acts like its stripped, and i dont know what to do to fix it or even to get it off. help

second, now when i went to take off, there was a noticeable lag then "go" in the throttle. just new plug?

third, and this has me stumped, the bike before all this was a pain to start. id have to try cranking it, flip key on/off, try again till it started. all lights would come on, an engine would try to kick over, but just not catch. ive ridden it 2 times since all this, once to get some gas so i wouldnt run on seafoam alone, and then to a friends where im parking it due to rain.

you guys are great, and i hope to see you on the road, so long as i make it there.

my direct email is dmk_132003@tmail if thats easier. thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: did an oil change, oh s@#t

Look at this link:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... /OIL_PUMP_

Are you talking about part number 19?
It looks as if that bolt has two threaded ends with an area of no thread in the middle. Is that right? I haven;t physically laid hands on those bolts before; just the nuts.

Can you get the nut off of the bolt? If so, try threading the other end first and see if that has any effect. If you stripped the actual bolt hole then you are in a little more trouble and will have to have a machine shop repair that. I wouldn't trust myself to do it. SCrew that up and your bike will be unusable.

As far as the spark plug, did you make sure that it was gapped correctly?

Also, I occasionally get the "not hitting" from time to time. How many miles are on your bike? And, did you ever have your valves adjusted?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
deadman13

Yeah, the bolt had threads at bothe ends and space in the middle. The nut didn't come off, just pulled the bolt out. So im not sure really what to do since now the bolt is screwed back into the case.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman13

1) i got it to where it was almost snug, an it just kept spinning. now it acts like its stripped, and i dont know what to do to fix it or even to get it off. help

2) second, now when i went to take off, there was a noticeable lag then "go" in the throttle. just new plug?

3) third, and this has me stumped, the bike before all this was a pain to start. id have to try cranking it, flip key on/off, try again till it started.
We prefer to keep these discussions HERE so others can benefit from the information too.

1) This one has to go to the dealer or machine shop. Anything you do is likely to make matters WORSE.

2) No, probably too much Seafoam in the tank. Give it a little while. If it doesn't get better, you might need to drain the tank and put in fresh gas......and then a different kind of "real" carb cleaner. How's your idle speed?

3) This sounds a LOT like the battery going bad or corroded/loose main cables.

Are you REALLY going to take this bike on a long road trip ???? :??:
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
deadman13

Oh yeah a long road trip! And I plan on having it looked at asap. I read on here about taping it with a hammer to get it to work, ill try that.

As far as the battery goes, its a few months old. And everything seems to work just fine aside from starting, lights & horns work fine it just doesn't want to really kick on. It turns over, just won't catch.

Seafoam is probably the cause, so lemme see how that works.

Idling Is interesting, because I just got a working choke and really haven't hit the perfect balance. If I set it too soon ill be at a light with the enging revd up like a mofo, if its cold it wants to stall. Im finetuning as I go

Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

So that bolt that we are talking about in the oil filter cover will screw back into the engine but the bolt won't budge?

Just get a new bolt and nut.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
deadman13

No no, when I undid the acorn nut it backed the bolt out with it. When I screwed it back in, the whole thing almost got tight and then it felt like it freed up, and now spins both ways as much as I want.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Oh, so you definitely stripped the threads. You'll need a machine shop to fix this. It's either that or get a new engine case, I guess.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

May be a way to fix it on the cheap. Feel like a bit of a gamble ??? Remove the filter cover and filter. Clean up whatever oil seeps out. This is assuming you can trick the bolt into coming out of course. Pulling and turning with a pair of pliers might work. If this works then all is good. Next remove the acorn nut from the bolt by any method without destroying either one if you can or you will need replacements. Now for the fun part. Put the nut back on the bolt finger tight. Smear the stripped threads of the bolt with plastic steel and screw it in as far as it will go or until it just spins. Let the plastic steel set up over night. In the morning the nut hopefully will come right off and the bolt will remain in the hole. I have seen this as a cheap fix in the past and it lasted forever. Even did it myself but used too much plastic steel and it tightened up while turning in the bolt. Should have used a bit less obviously. This method may/may not work for you. Just an option before spending big bucks. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That's a pretty good idea. I've never tried that.
Keep some sort of lubricant on the acron nut end so you are certain that it comes off.
The last thing that you want to do is seal the oil filter housing closed.

In a worst case scenario, and assuming that the "plastic steel" thing works, I would replace the acorn nut with a standard nut equivalent. It won;t be pretty, but if there is something wrong with the threading of the acorn nut, it'll do the job.