Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: GZ250 Smokes on cold start, stops smoking after running

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Hey WW, have you noticed that mrgz250 has only been a member for 3 days, and all he's done is piss everyone off. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that he's just a troll, trying to cause arguments. Let's hope he vanishes up his own ars*hole in the near future.
Yeah, I came back from vacation just in time to meet a new troll. He won't be here long thankfully.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
scully

Similar!

Hey these are great responses - I am wondering if they apply to my problem? Just picked up the bike and started riding a week ago and now I'm having idle issues. No smoke, the gas was pretty old but most of it has run through the carb already :\

I use the choke (full choke is super loud so I've been finding a "sweet spot". Bike will run ok when warmed up, but after 20 minutes of riding, the engine stalls when coming to a stop. Sometimes it stalls just sitting at a red light.

Should I just follow the advice on this thread already or could it be something else?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
BigBoss319

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Hey these are great responses - I am wondering if they apply to my problem? Just picked up the bike and started riding a week ago and now I'm having idle issues. No smoke, the gas was pretty old but most of it has run through the carb already :\

I use the choke (full choke is super loud so I've been finding a "sweet spot". Bike will run ok when warmed up, but after 20 minutes of riding, the engine stalls when coming to a stop. Sometimes it stalls just sitting at a red light.

Should I just follow the advice on this thread already or could it be something else?
Sounds like your bike is running too lean on fuel. Maybe from some kind of crud blocking it. Try B12 chem tool or Seafoam in your gas and install an inline filter to prevent it in the future. Here's the stuff you will need to install a filter.

https://goo.gl/12hdik
https://goo.gl/TMXtv4
https://goo.gl/8d865v
https://goo.gl/l6PQRQ

You may also want to clean your carburetor by removing it and getting personal. Even if none of this solves your problem it's good to do for your bike regardless as it's preventive/standard maintenance.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #14
wacio

First make sure choke is turned all the way off. It may be causing mix too rich on warm bike.

There is idle adjustment screw on the right sire of the carb (plastic knob). I need to tinker with it (about half turn) depending how hot the bike is. This bike likes high idle (about 1400rpm). If adjusted too low it may stall when coming to a stop from cruising speed (engine little cooler).

My philosophy on the carbs in bikes that sat for a while is to try to run them for two or three tank fulls. Often the little varnish in the carb will eventually clear up. Prior to taking carbs apart, watch few videos on youtube made by Shane Conley about carb cleaning to avoid common mistakes. Parts for carbs are not cheap and easy to screw up. I bought mine in april and it runs much better now (after 400 miles). I still hesitate to take carb apart - my problem is very small leak causing carb to be little moist on the lower half. I bought rebuild kit that has all seals needed to rebuild and float needle valve (although opinions on the aftermarket kits and esp valve are mixed). Will eventually get it done if it doesnt stop by itself. Best luck.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
suzukix668

I had the same problem cracked spark plug hole @ 58k & found that the head bolts were lose so I did a compleate top end tear down & clutch factory parts only now runs perfect 97k on her now