Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Hypno Rider

Re: Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Yeah, get glasses cause the 2 header pipes are black, haha.
Oh ok, I was on a small iPad screen, O_o

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Hypno Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If you get it started and running take it for a little ride and get it warmed up, then change the oil and filter instead of letting it sit another 6 months with dirty oil in it. Who know when it was changed last? Clean and wax it before you put it away for storage, to keep the rest of the rust from getting worse. Fill the gas tank before storage to eliminate moisture from condensing in the tank (water in the gas), and run some carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer through it to keep the carb from getting gunked up over the winter. If you leave it outside, plug up the exhaust outlet in the muffler with a rag or something to keep little critters and bugs from building a nest in there. Either remove the battery so you can bring it indoors and charge it once a month or put pigtail leads on it so you can hook up a battery charger/tender once a month. Then cover it up and don't start it 'till the spring when you are ready to ride it. If you bring it indoors, like in a garage, do the same thing. If you bring it into the house then you have all winter to polish and spiff it up and do all the other maintenance on it at your leisure with no excuses for a dirty bad running bike in the spring.

To answer why the gas tank and seat are loose you will have to remove them. Maybe the rubber bushings are old and dried out or cracked or missing. You will know why they are loose after you look at them.
Awesome. Thank you very much for these tips, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Hypno Rider

Quote:
I believe there is a thread on here about ordering BLANK keys, and sending it back and then thwy send you a key back that can start the bike and open the gas cap.
Thanks, but I just snagged the 3 piece lock set - ignition, gas cap etc. with one key for $55 bucks on eBay. Same year and everything with 4000 miles on the bike they were removed from.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
alantf

Quote:
I believe there is a thread on here about ordering BLANK keys, and sending it back and then thwy send you a key back that can start the bike and open the gas cap.
If you've got the original owner's handbook, there's a space to write in the key No. I've filled it in, in my handbook, in case I need to order new keys. The original owner may have done the same.[attachment=0:1yxxf37g]img092.jpg[/attachment:1yxxf37g]
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Most locksmiths can cut a new key or 2 as spares. No need to go to a dealer for their expensive blank that still needs a locksmith to cut it. Snagging the complete lock set is nice but don't forget a spare key at home and maybe a spare in your riding gear or wallet.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
mrlmd1

I no longer have the GZ, but if I remember correctly, it is a bitch to get the ignition switch/lock off and you need a special tool from Suzuki to do it.

Question for you - now that you bought a three piece lockset and a key, how are you going to get the other locks off without a key to open them?

Did you try going to a dealer with the serial # of the bike and proof that you own it, for them to look up a key code and make you another set?
I needed keys made for a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and the dealer was no help, but on the backside of the helmet lock on that bike, if you took that off, is the key code stamped onto the lock. With that code, a local locksmith looked it up on his computer and cut me 2 keys right away.
Look around on the locks for a number stamped into one of them.
A good locksmith might be able to make you a set of keys with the bike's serial number if you can't get the code from the Suzuki dealer.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #27
Hypno Rider

Quote:
I no longer have the GZ, but if I remember correctly, it is a bitch to get the ignition switch/lock off and you need a special tool from Suzuki to do it.

Question for you - now that you bought a three piece lockset and a key, how are you going to get the other locks off without a key to open them?

Did you try going to a dealer with the serial # of the bike and proof that you own it, for them to look up a key code and make you another set?
I needed keys made for a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and the dealer was no help, but on the backside of the helmet lock on that bike, if you took that off, is the key code stamped onto the lock. With that code, a local locksmith looked it up on his computer and cut me 2 keys right away.
Look around on the locks for a number stamped into one of them.
A good locksmith might be able to make you a set of keys with the bike's serial number if you can't get the code from the Suzuki dealer.
Wow, you got me dizzy. I didn't even think about how i was going to get the locks off, I figured it would be relatively easy. And when I saw all three pieces for $55 bucks, I just jumped at the opportunity. I also have a situation with the title. The guy I bought the bike from never registered the bike because he bought it to practice on in his backyard (never took it on the street). He never signed the title and now he can't find it. He also said the training school he got it from went out of business and was selling all there bikes.....so now I have a real dilemma. :??:
Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #28
Hypno Rider

Quote:
If you get it started and running take it for a little ride and get it warmed up, then change the oil and filter instead of letting it sit another 6 months with dirty oil in it. Who know when it was changed last? Clean and wax it before you put it away for storage, to keep the rest of the rust from getting worse. Fill the gas tank before storage to eliminate moisture from condensing in the tank (water in the gas), and run some carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer through it to keep the carb from getting gunked up over the winter. If you leave it outside, plug up the exhaust outlet in the muffler with a rag or something to keep little critters and bugs from building a nest in there. Either remove the battery so you can bring it indoors and charge it once a month or put pigtail leads on it so you can hook up a battery charger/tender once a month. Then cover it up and don't start it 'till the spring when you are ready to ride it. If you bring it indoors, like in a garage, do the same thing. If you bring it into the house then you have all winter to polish and spiff it up and do all the other maintenance on it at your leisure with no excuses for a dirty bad running bike in the spring.

To answer why the gas tank and seat are loose you will have to remove them. Maybe the rubber bushings are old and dried out or cracked or missing. You will know why they are loose after you look at them.
Thanks a million, great tips. Do bugs really crawl into the exhaust?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #29
Hypno Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Most locksmiths can cut a new key or 2 as spares. No need to go to a dealer for their expensive blank that still needs a locksmith to cut it. Snagging the complete lock set is nice but don't forget a spare key at home and maybe a spare in your riding gear or wallet.
Oh don't worry, I will be having 10 spares made.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #30
Hypno Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
If you've got the original owner's handbook, there's a space to write in the key No. I've filled it in, in my handbook, in case I need to order new keys. The original owner may have done the same.[attachment=0:y2xlql1f]img092.jpg[/attachment:y2xlql1f]
Nope. No manual, no tool set, no nothing, except the bike.