Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13
48 States in search of Home

Well everyone, the time has come. I always said that if I lost my job for whatever reason that I'd go on my trip around the US, and today it happened. A customer was joking with me in front of my boss, and he got offended and I got canned.

So, heres the plan. I'm going to take my savings and buy a few things i need, and come my birthday (January 20) if nothing has panned out here, I'll finish the prep and take off soon after. I planned this for a while now, and now think its time for some trial and error.

I'm going to keep everyone up to date as far as the trip goes, and I'd like to ask you all for help with whatever you can. (If you have anything you could donate, like a gps, saddlebags etc; thatd be extremely appreciated) When I leave, I'll have very little money to spare, keeping some for the "oh S*#t" fund of a bus ticket/hotel room/food. But I'm going to be relying mostly on the kindness of strangers. I have a theory that society is at its core a nice group of people, and while I'm going to be able to help myself as much as I can, things like showers, hot meals, and help with repairs are going to be infrequent.

And my reasoning is so that I can find a place I feel like is home. I have a freewebs page from when I first planned it, http://www.freewebs.com/tattooeddavid so please check it out and see more details about what I'm doing.
I'd like to meet anyone off here, as this has been the best forum I've come across in a few years.

Thank you all for all your help so far.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Orpheus

Re: 48 States in search of Home

Awesome (not losing your job, but the trip idea). I'd like to do the same myself, some day. Looking forward to updates.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
mrlmd1

You might check out the location map of all the members and plan your trip to hit as many of them as you can. Have everyone sign your guest book and see how many members you can meet across the US. Then they could all feel that had some part in this.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
yls

Good luck to you. I live in Kokomo And work in Carmel IN (the cross roads of America) if you are near, stop by. yls
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Chris

You never mentioned how old you are. Young, probably. Older guys have more sense. Do you have resources to do this?
Wait until you are older and can afford a trip like this. We all want to make a trip like this, but we wait until the time is right.

Sounds like a diaster to me. Young guy heading out with no money, no job, no plans, no place to stay. Soon you'll be turning tricks just to eat.
I'm a romantic more than most folks, but some common sense in in order here.
See if you can get your old job back or another one like it. I've spent decades counseling guys like you off drugs or out of jail. Usually dosen't work and their life rapidly runs downhill.

Chris, common sense, retired in Atlanta (don't call)

Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I've had similar inclinations deadman. I don't know if it will work or turn out like Chris says. I say go for it. If you run out of money and have to crawl back to someplace with your tail between your legs, I don't think that guarantees a life of drug addiction.

Be aware, that even at 60 miles to the gallon, if you ride all day, gas is going to be a significant expense. Set up a paypal account and embed a Paypal donation button on it. Post pictures and write of your adventures and maybe some of us vicarious type will send you some cash.

If you make it to california and I'm around, I'll be happy to buy you some lunch, a beer, and a tank of gas.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
deadman13

Chris, I completly understand where you're coming from. If I hadn't done some significant thinking on this I'd say the same thing. But since I've said for 5 years that if the chance shows itself to me, I'll take it.
Yeah, im young, 25. But that's why I want to do this now, not later. I think things will be better if I do this now anyway, no family or commistments like if I were older. And my body can take more of the physical stress ( sorry easy, bad bob!).
I do have a plan, and have a place to go if things go the way of the creek. I have money for a bus ticket to Charleston, and have money for gas. My limited funds just mean I won't be hitting up hotels and Applebees every night. Or at all, actually.

I have a plan, and a bike. I've never done drugs (and don't see why I would start, especially with the amount of extra money I won't have) and don't drink. And I don't see how having sex with women for money is a bad thing
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Your timing is way off. Head south and travel slow. You don't want to be getting too far north until Spring. Best of luck no matter what you decide.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
deadman13

Oh I aready planned that. First thing im doing is heading to the tip of fla, looking for a gift shop!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Chris

Deadman -- curious name. I hope your name and the recent posts don't go together. I've seen a dead biker, by the way, not good. An aggressive Harley guy took a turn too fast, crossed the center line and met a truck. Lights out. Talked with his buddy behind him and asked if I could help. He had a strange look and said "Well, what would you do?" Nothing, of course. His buddy said "Damn, now I've got to call his wife."

Of course, I expected your response. Good luck. Actually I will soon be making some longer trips myself, but nothing like 48 states. Coastal Georgia and possibly the Florida Keys. I have a retired friend on a Harley who wants to make some trips. He is a bit timid on his Harley (as he should be) and I actually ride faster than he does!

Again, good luck. Still sounds like a diaster to me. You'll be broke fast. Living on the goodness of strangers sounds like begging and stealing to me.

Chris, retired guy in Atlanta