Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Camera mount.

I finally got my act together and finished the camera mount for the Vstrom. Had to do a mod for the camera I got last Xmas and then finally painted the shiny parts from the hardware store.
Initially started with a windshield bar clamp with 2 of the risers for added height rather than one. Added an actual camera acc. piece for an extension to the left of the clamp. Finished product has a small winshield for the camera and the shiny parts don't shine anymore. The non-shiny parts were added because this camera mounts at it's corner rather than the usual center.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

other stuff

Just thought I would add this since I had the camera sitting here and handy. Power point mount on the cheap. Temp thermometer to the right of the power point but only works in the shade, direct sunlight makes it skyrocket. Also for the other member with a Vstrom, if you have handguards and still get cold fingers I have a $2 solution from Walmart. I butchered a blue file folder and used some 2 sided tape. Cheap and nobody cares what is looks like. Also an almost hidden garage opener in the handguard.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Camera mount.

Nice Job WW!! Looks great!

Instead of mounting my camera, i bought one of these....

They take AMAZING video (check youtube for '808 keychain camera')

If anyone DOES buy one of these, make sure its a version #3 as they take the best video. I have mine mounted inside a tic tac box with holes drilled to access the buttons and velcro on the bottom. Got mine on ebay for 20 bucks. Most sell from china, but if you look hard enough, you can find a USA seller.

[youtube:8zvqltwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgY1gBpXlM[/youtube:8zvqltwc]

[youtube:8zvqltwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb2-LDvu-O8[/youtube:8zvqltwc]

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Wow, that is a pretty neat little camera. It does a fine job of recording from your bike.

Now about my new camera mount. Humbug. Seems that for some strange reason I get reflections from the camera shield that I didn't have before. Also getting a popping noise which is new too. Will try it without the shield, won't be any reflections but the new noise is a strange one.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
cayuse

Your mount looks good, WW. Do you notice any vibration, or are you shooting only stills? Popping might be your sound circuit getting overloaded with wind noise. You might reduce reflections if you move the camera closer to the shield.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
cayuse

Dupo, that camera is doing a much better job than the original key cameras! I gotta get one!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
Your mount looks good, WW. Do you notice any vibration, or are you shooting only stills? Popping might be your sound circuit getting overloaded with wind noise. You might reduce reflections if you move the camera closer to the shield.
All 3 of my cameras are noisy beyond the point of reason due to the wind. Actually this time I put some thick tape over the mic to muffle it a bit. I am thinking there is a possibility the upper left corner of the little windshield is knocking on the bottom of the mirror. I see a redesign in my future.
I do both stills and video with this camera. Easy as pushing a button without the messing around my other cameras require with going to the menu and such. It does nice stills and a reasonable video so I can critique my own riding when I get home. It is a good learning tool to watch your own line in a curve after the fact.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

WW, try a small block of dense foam with some tacky 'stuff' to hold it over the mic. Same thing they do to mic's outdoors. More wind = thicker foam cover.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I tried a patch of 2 sided tape because it is fairly thick and sticks like crazy. Gonna pop the little shield off and try that. I am probably fighting a loosing battle though because Vstroms tend to generate a lot of wind and wind noise. But what the H***, it keeps me amused.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I finally got my act together and finished the camera mount for the Vstrom. Had to do a mod for the camera I got last Xmas and then finally painted the shiny parts from the hardware store.
Initially started with a windshield bar clamp with 2 of the risers for added height rather than one. Added an actual camera acc. piece for an extension to the left of the clamp. Finished product has a small winshield for the camera and the shiny parts don't shine anymore. The non-shiny parts were added because this camera mounts at it's corner rather than the usual center.
So I had a flash of brilliance today and remounted the camera windshield. This time I managed to squeeze it in behind the mirror stalk and mirror. Should take care of the reflections I was having before. The camera almost touches the windshield so there should be no images reflected from different angles as before. The little shield is actually mounted and less likely to pick up any vibration now. Now if the unwanted noise level goes away it will be perfect. If not I have a volume control to use.