Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Re: I have 2 problems (or 3)

Let's see...
Code:
 :twisted:  :biggrin:  :skull:  :cool:  :skeptical:  :roll:  :)  :tongue:  :shocked:  :neener: O_o  :whistle:  :rawk:  :2tup:  :lol:  :cry:  :??: Z :retard:  :crackup  :crazy:  :haha2:  :blush:  :yawn:  :cuss:  :puke:  :drool: x :mad:  :yes:  :curse:  :yawn:  :bow:  ;)  :tup:  :tdown:  :sad:  :oops:  :plus1:  c:jawdrop:  :redflip:  :smallrawk:  :bong:  :wow:  :fu:  :bang:  :jo:  :pissed: m :smoke:  :pimpdaddy:  :ride:  :crash: v :pwhore:  :pics:  :crutches:  :horse:  :haha:  t:banana:  :chop:
*edit. I figured it out. The forum and/or browser thinks
Code:
:twisted:  :biggrin:  :skull:  :cool:  :skeptical:  :roll:
is one long word. The forum and/or browser won't split words when it "word wraps", so it continues 'till it finds what it thinks is the end of a word. If Dupo goes back and puts a couple returns or letters in the middle of that code box it will word wrap from those points.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Everything is still normal on my end. No mile wide boxes.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #23
music man

Me too. I can't see any difference in any of these posts.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I found a solution:

Put the :bong: down and step away from the computer.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
Sarris

Now the damn thing is a mile wide again since Magnar reposted with long text. The reply box is now 1000 miles wide as well. Can you just pass me the :bong:? Maybe then It won't matter. Or maybe I just won't care. Either way it works for me!

:biggrin:

Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Everybodys post on this topic (only) are coming out 3 screen wide for me as well.
I'm using IE7, maybe it's a setting problem?
Thank you. Me too.
I don't think it is a simple setting, per se, because a browser generally only displays what it is given.
It won't add things that weren't there when it left the host.
In this case, the Mac user is inputting something that makes his messages (and boxes) ~ 300 characters wide.
I don't know what the mechanism is that causes it to "wrap" for some people and not others.

It is not a BIG problem but it IS a significant pain in the butt.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #27
music man

I just tried it on Internet Explorer and all the posts are like that (longer than hell) went back and tried it on Firefox again everything is back to normal. try it Dupo and see if you get the same effect.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #28
mrlmd1

I'm using Firefox on my Mac, and this thread and the rest of the forum look perfectly fine to me, as does the rest of the web. Do those that have a problem viewing this forum, or my replys on this forum, have it on any other, or on any other web page? Glad to know it's not from me.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Code blocks do NOT add any markup to the page. They have to include line breaks in the actual post or else they will put everything in one line. Firefox has a word wrap capability which is why some people's pages look "fine" and others' don't. That's how Magnar's post was able to include the brackets around the BBCode and not actually translating it. His CODE block is one long string of text.

Fyi, I use Firefox on both MS and Mac machines, and use IE tabs to switch between browsers to test pages. Also use Camino and Safari on the Mac for testing purposes only.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Do those that have a problem viewing this forum, or my replys on this forum, have it on any other, or on any other web page?
Glad to know it's not from me.
But it IS from you. YOU set the pattern with the first post and all of the replies now follow the same pattern.
And no, I don't have that problem anywhere else.
Like I said before, a few places run over by maybe 10-15%. I'm pretty sure that is because I don't have my
resolution set for the absolute maximum value.
But the pattern YOU established with the first post runs over by a TON more than 15%.

I think it is because your browser/editor screen wraps your long lines on YOUR screen without sending any new-line
characters to the host. This is a convention that comes along with your Unix based operating system.
I hated it 40 years ago and I still hate it. You may have a toggle available to change that behavior.

It would, I think, be an interesting experiment for you to go to the "test" forum and create a new thread,
being careful to hit "enter/return/newline" every 50 characters or so and see how that looks to us "problem" users!

Other browsers are apparently "smarter" and try to fit everything to one screen. IE, however, is presenting the data
faithfully as it is received; if that is 300 characters in one line, then that is 3 screens wide. I have looked for
an option on this end but can't find one.

Sometimes you actually NEED to see the data EXACTLY as it IS and not manuplated to make it look nice !!