Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
dannylightning

Re: auto zone led kit, bright as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Is that legal to ride all lit up at night where you live?
You have to watch out that it's not too bright, lighting up the road beneath you and destroying your night vision.
perfectly legal, had a argument about this with some one a while ago untill i came in with the exact details for vehicle lightning laws in ohio and posted them on here. that was when i was thinking of getting led lights for my gz.

when the bike is out in the open it only lights up the ground under me and behind me, not really infront of me that much.. this picture was taken in the garage it reflects off everything in there. out in the open it's just about perfect. but if you get close to some walls or any thing else the lights find that object and light them up. but its not gonna blind me, mess up my vision or any one else. i did not put any on the front wheel area for that reason.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
burkbuilds

I checked the laws in Georgia and some surrounding states before I bought my lights and some states do have laws about what color lights you can have on the vehicle and some state say they can't flash or strobe but it varies a lot from one place to another. In Georgia it can NOT "flash" while you are on the road and it can't project out and up where it might "blind" other drivers and there were some pretty specific details about what measurements constituted projecting out and up, but basically they are allowed in Georgia as long as they aren't flashing. Interestingly enough, while I was researching all those driving laws I found out that it is illegal in Georgia to drive any automobile with a connected Nitrous system on it on public roads. Not sure how the cops are supposed to be able to tell if you've got one and if it's hooked up, but it is illegal. That only made me pause because I know so many people with a nitrous system on their cars and even one guy with one on his Ninja Bike, and that one is clearly visible. Oh well, different topic.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
burkbuilds

Just to show how much brighter your lights are than mine I'll post a few of my pics, I'm not a very good photographer and I couldn't figure out how to keep my flash from going off so I just put my fingers in front of the flash as best I could , sorry, but by any standard, your's are at least 10 x's as bright as the ones I have. :??: But I do like being able to change the colors!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
dannylightning

[quote="burkbuilds"]Just to show how much brighter your lights are than mine I'll post a few of my pics, I'm not a very good photographer and I couldn't figure out how to keep my flash from going off so I just put my fingers in front of the flash as best I could , sorry, but by any standard, your's are at least 10 x's as bright as the ones I have. :??: But I do like being able to change the colors!

well i have a almost professional grade camera, longer shutter speed makes things in the dark show up better with out the flash. the shutter probably stayed open for aobut half a second compared the the quick little click you get with your ordinarry digital camera and due the the longer shutter time. it may have intensified the effect just a bit. but it does light up the ground and the walls when its in the garage. for example this is a photo i have taken with this camera with a long shutter speed. my iso was set at 100 my aperture was set around 30 and the shutter was open for 30 seconds or so. only thing photo shopped was the danny lightning photography and i adjusted the contrast a little bit. i see your iso was probably set around 800 when you took that photo, lots of noise in that pic, in other words grainy photo, check out the settings on your camera for night time. the shutter should stay open longer and the flash should not go off, but you need the camera to be perfectly still or it's going to blur. try one of the night settings, they might have a little symbol of a moon of fireworks and take a few pics and post them up.. that should give us a better idea of how those lights really look

this is what they look like in a low light situation with just a litlte bit of flash, that way you dont need a long shutter speed.

not really sure how yours look, the camera does no justice to things in the dark unless you have it on the right setting. as you can see this is a little grainy of a picture, my iso was set on auto and not at 100 where i usually keep it. but i just wanted to get a few quick shots. and not mess around with the camera to get the perfect shot..
Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Wow, those are really bright! A lot brighter than the ones I put on my bike, but can you change the colors at the push of a button?
no i cant change the colors O_o i was trying not to spend a lot of money and well i made out pretty well for what i spend i think, i like blue lights the best. orange would probably be my second favorite. but im happy. i really did this for more of a saftey thing but i got the bonus cool factor to go along with safer night riding. its a win win situation.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
burkbuilds

Hey Danny, I'm still no where near the photographer you are, but thanks to your tips I did get some better pictures to show you. Your lights are still much brighter and probably better placed than mine are as well, your's really seem to catch all the chrome on your engine really well and mine don't, maybe I can re-arrange them some day in the near future to get a better angle on my engine. Well anyway, I'll try and upload these pictures now.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
burkbuilds

A couple more shots.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #18
dannylightning

those are nice and bright, they light up the ground quite well. mine do seem the catch the chrome better but i spent a good amount of time deciding where to place each light.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
SWEET!! Welcome to the world of LEDs

If you ever wanna go full bore on LEDs and not have it cost you an arm and a leg .. http://www.ledbikelights.net/

Thats who made my kit. $130 for a full set to light up the entire bike. He'll also sell individual strips and custom kits.
gone....
Old 04-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Yea, he got a new job and trains people as well ... he's way too busy to do light kits as of right now. He only does them when he can for shadowrider.net forum members. Its far and few in between unfortunately. I am trying to find his supplier to order direct. The prices were insanely low for the strips

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook