Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Shammua

Beating a dead horse (trunks and saddlebags)

All right, I have seen lots of posts about trunks, saddlebags, and more. However I have NOT seen any where the trunks are on with hard saddle bags and still keeping the backseat.
If possible could you all post a picture of your bike along with who made the baggage? I'm looking for hard bags and trunk similar to these
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=12&s=prod.php

And this

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=21&s=prod.php

However I'm afraid these are to big for the GZ. Any help with this would be amazing!!!
If your energetic enough links would be great too, I'm hoping to stay in the $300-$400 range for the whole setup.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
raul10141964

chines scooter trunk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120628_142858.jpg (86.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Shammua

So I got the saddlebags on and have loved them so far. I am going to make a couple changes to make them better though.
1. These aren't to be used to "secure" items in. One solid yank and they are broken and open.
2. I'm going to put a shaped piece of plywood in the bottom to give more stability. I will be bolting it to the bottom.
3. It's bare plastic/fiberglass on the inside. Anything you put in May get scuffed up, so I'm lining the inside with felt.
4. These are waterproof (we had a huge storm come through and everything stayed dry) but I am going to replace the seal on the lid with something a bit more beefy? to give a better seal and give me more of a warm fuzzy about it.
5. The locking mechanism is pretty weak, but I haven't a clue what to do about that.

All in all even though I listed all this I have been really happy with them and they have performed exactly how I wanted plus they were only $99. I think if they did everything I listed they would probably go for over $200 so I am really happy.
Once my trunk arrives and it's mounted I'll post a picture on that too.
My first trunk arrived broken. :/ fedexs fault!
Just based off seeing the broken trunk I would say I'll be doing numbers 3 and 4 to the trunk too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.7 KB, 64 views)

Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Oh, nice! Locking hard bags were an option I was going to go with just before I sold her.

Those look really good. Nice job.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Looks good.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
gz4me +

Looks nice. I have the same bags on my Yamaha 650 custom.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Shammua

Trunk is coming

So the trunk arrived but was damaged. Surprisingly enough the company doesn't want it back, but they are sending me a replacement. So I am waiting on that one to arrive, however I have put on the base plate for the trunk to mount too. It fits on top of the luggage rack and secures nicely with the provided brackets.
I will have to make some changes once the fixed trunk arrives I will have to modify the backrest. Basically what I will be doing is cutting the backrest off the luggage rack so I can move this base plate forwards a little and make room for the backrest of the trunk.
I didn't get any good pictures putting the saddle bags on, however it was pretty straight forward too. We had pictures but we had technical issues that caused the pictures to get deleted.

Anyway, when the trunk gets here I will get it mounted and make sure to take lots of pictures to show how I did it. The trunk wont be big enough for a full face helmet, but it is going to help me out a LOT when I have to make store runs, and it's going to provide a lot more comfort for my daughter when she is riding on back.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Shammua, just make sure your daughter is comfy and dress her up in riding gear. Smiles and laughter with Dad are better than tears and road rash.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
Shammua

Already on it my friend. She has asked for the motorcycle safety course for her 16th so she can get her motorcycle license at the same time she gets her cage license. Then she wants to ride the bike all the time so she doesn't have to worry about our stupid laws of to many people in the car.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Shammua

Caved and put the trunk with a crack on it. Looks good and daughter loves the extra backrest size. It's very solid and stable, but god help me if I ever dump the bike, both saddles bags and trunk will be toasted. It's all fiberglass and not super thick either.
I'll take better pictures tomorrow. Also next week when my actual (unbroken) trunk arrives I will take pictures of how I attached it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.6 KB, 47 views)