Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Re: K&N air filter and assorted carb jets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir
blaine why is that cuz the K&N Flows more air??
Yes sort of... With less restriction from the filter there is less vacuum at the carb to suck the gas out of the carb. The K&N filter virtually eliminates the intake restriction so you need larger jets to flow the same amount of gas as before. I'm going to guess that maybe suzuki made the stock intake restrictive in order to quiet intake noise?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider

I'm going to guess that maybe suzuki made the stock intake restrictive in order to quiet intake noise?
That is part of it,the filter is restricted to cut down noise.You also need a a certain amount of restriction in the air box to create vacuum for the needle to open properly.If there is not enough vacuum,the needle will be slow to move,causing a bog every time you crack the throttle.This is a real problem on bikes when the air box is removed,and replaced with pod filters.It took me a lot of time to get my 454 to run properly after switching to pod filters.But when you get it right,well worth the effort.
:cool:

Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
RamAir

Re: K&N air filter and assorted carb jets SOLD! ADMIN PLZ DE

Good to know. So the outcome justifys the means!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
That is part of it.You also need a a certain amount of restriction to create vacuum for the needle to open properly.If there is not enough vacuum,the needle will be slow to move,causing a bog everytime you crack the throttle.This is a real problem on bikes when the air box is removed,and replaced with pod filters.It took me a lot of time to get my 454 to run properly after switching to pod filters.But when you get it right,well worth the effort.
What kind of gas mileage do you get on your 454? A PO of my vulcan 500 installed a stage 3 dynojet kit for the ninja 500 and K&N pod filters. I've been tweaking it but the best mileage I seem to be able to get is upper 40's. I would think I'd be able to get better than this.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
blaine

I average around the same,upper 40s.I never got any better than 50 mpg,even before any mods.I think that is the best we can hope for.I think that's good considering that it is basically a high revving performance engine.My mileage didn't vary much after carb & filter mods.But it really "woke the bike up!"The filters on the 454 are really small and restrictive compared to the 500.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Quimrider

I think they must have tweaked the newer 500's for better economy by changing the cams, lowering the compression and using smaller carbs, I routinely get upper 50's on my '06. If I could keep my hand out of the throttle I probably could crack 60mpg.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I think they must have tweaked the newer 500's for better economy by changing the cams, lowering the compression and using smaller carbs, I routinely get upper 50's on my '06. If I could keep my hand out of the throttle I probably could crack 60mpg.
Just for comparison:What is the r.p.m. at 60 m.p.h. and the red line of the 500.My 454 red lines at 11000 r.p.m. and revs at 6000 r.p.m at 60 m.p.h.
:??:

Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
Quimrider

The first generation Vulcan 500 has the same belt drive pulleys as the 454. The final drive is 2.72 at 6000 RPM this yields 64mph the 2nd generation vulcan 500's with chain drive have a final drive ratio of 2.625 which yields a 6krpm speed of 66mph. You may find the spreadsheet in the 4th post in this thread useful Every japanese bike I've ridden has the speedometer reporting faster that you are actually traveling. both of mine read about 4-5mph faster than I am traveling at freeway speeds. I wonder if the 454 has different internal gearing or maybe a different size rear wheel to account for the approximate 5mph difference or who knows maybe your speedo is reading slower than you are actually going? I usually cruse on the freeway between 6 and 7K RPM. If I remember correctly both 500's redline at 10K RPM. I had a 12K tach on but switched to an 8K tach since the power band really fades on both my 500's after 8K RPM. I was going to try to get scoot works belt pulley system to work on my belt drive vulcan 500 but, scoot works has been jerking me around. Their belt drive increases the final drive to 2.22 which drops freeway rpm significantly. I sent them my pulley for testing last july or was it august. They were supposed to only have the pulley for a few days but they have yet to return my pulley and at this point I probably will never see it again.