Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: WTB 2004-2007 running engine... my 06 blew after 2hrs /c

There's a good possibility it was either low on oil, leaking oil or some other problem related to oil/lubrication. It's an air-cooled bike and if they are low on oil, it doesn't take much for them to overheat, cook the innards and seize up in some fashion. Warped or cracked head, hairline crack in the block, there's a whole host of problems that render the bike close to worthless, but still able to go for a few hundred more miles until the inevitable. Totally sucks that you are out the $1500. I'd contact craiglist and see if this is a first offense for this guy or if he's got a history of shady dealings.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Pseudocyb

Thanks you guys for the help and in response to the questions. yes i checked the oil, it was clean and at the proper level and i was going around 65 to 70 for about an hour. I am going to keep looking for a replacement motor.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudocyb
i was going around 65 to 70 for about an hour.
Hate to say it, but you were pushing the GZ at the top end of it's performance, with an engine that wasn't fully broken in. You really shouldn't have been doing more than ½ to ¾ throttle. We've had other reports in the past of people blowing up their engines doing exactly the same thing. The GZ is essentially a town bike, &while it's perfectly possible to ride it like you did, the GZ doesn't like it.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
i was going around 65 to 70 for about an hour.
Hate to say it, but you were pushing the GZ at the top end of it's performance, with an engine that wasn't fully broken in. You really shouldn't have been doing more than ½ to ¾ throttle. We've had other reports in the past of people blowing up their engines doing exactly the same thing. The GZ is essentially a town bike, &while it's perfectly possible to ride it like you did, the GZ doesn't like it.
:plus1: :oops:
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Pseudocyb

It threw one of the injectors and mashed the crap out of the piston. It's pretty bad lol. yeah i was reading about that and kinda realizing that the bike is not meant to be run like that. bummer. Good news is I have the bike in about 200 pieces and I now only need a new top end piston & cylinder though which is beter than a whole engine... maybe 8-) ... either way I trying to make the best of it. thanks you guys for the help. also if there is a way to upload pics I bet you guys would have a laugh. I suppose I will post a new message about needing a a new head piston sleve and gaskets /sigh 8-) thanks guys.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

I've ridden mine at that speed more than once for an hour without incident and, almost three years after purchase, I still am shy of the "5K" final break-in period. Maybe I was just lucky. You really can't go anywhere of significant distance in CA without going 65 (as it is, you are risking obliteration on the freeway - you really need to be able to maintain 70-75.) Since I bought my "big bike" the only time i take the Geezer on the freeway is to ride the 38 miles to the dealer where I have it serviced.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
blaine

Quote:
It threw one of the injectors
You lost me,the G.Z. has a carburetor. :??: I still think it would be cheaper to buy a complete engine than fixing your own.
:cool:

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I've ridden mine at that speed more than once for an hour without incident and, almost three years after purchase, I still am shy of the "5K" final break-in period. Maybe I was just lucky.
When I sold it, my GZ wasn't quite to 5K yet either. I rode at 65 - 70 for an hour (give or take) more than a few times.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
It threw one of the injectors
You lost me,the G.Z. has a carburetor. :??: I still think it would be cheaper to buy a complete engine than fixing your own.
:cool:
I think he means a valve let go and that would certainly trash a few inner parts.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
alantf

Quote:
if there is a way to upload pics I bet you guys would have a laugh.
Click on post reply > browse > add the file > place in line :2tup:

BTW. From the varied replies, it seems that some of us believe in a thorough break in period & some of us don't. Some of us are happy running at 70 MPH for two hours & some of us aren't. Some of us have blown up their engines & some of us haven't. You said that the guy seemed honest, so I think you'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Seems to me that you were one of the unlucky minority that weren't so lucky. It might be something to do with the fact that the GZ is one of the cheapest bikes around, & quality control at the factory has to take a back seat (dunno, but that's just a guess)