Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Want to Buy: Broken Suzuki OEM Windshield

Watch out for the deer. Even a face shield don't help with that. I swear to God, they are strangely attracted to motorcycles. they'll look at you and then walk/run right into your path. A number of us on here have had some near misses (I've had one close call, and a few less close ones) and others have either hit or had friends hit them. It will ruin your whole day and then some. Be especially careful at twilight and after dark. All three of my encounters were right at dusk.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
(Also, stay away from those dirt hauling trucks if you have 'em where you ride. All kinds of crap is constantly coming off the back of them, breaking windshields, dinging your glasses, scaring the crap out of you. The damn things shouldn't be legal on the freeway.)

I will tell you what pisses me off, I don't know about where you live but in Arkansas, all those trucks have big signs on the back of them stating that if something flies off of their vehicle and damages your car they are not responsible for it!!

Its like how the F@#k do you get away with that? I promise you if I am driving a regular Pick-up truck and something flies out of the back of it and impales someones vehicle, either me or my insurance company would have to pony up some dough if the people reported it. It would not be that hard to make those trucks where they wouldn't loose projectiles off of them every five seconds, And don't even get me started on the 18 wheelers hauling wood chips, I don't see how they have a load left by the time they get where they are going, its like they are firing a gatlin gun full of wood chips when you get behind one, I have replaced many a windshield because of those damn things.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Way

I'm no lawyer but I think they can put all the signs in the world on the back of their trucks they want but if something falls off their truck big enough to cause substantial damage/injury they are still liable. The main problem might be proving it came from that particular truck unless you have a camera running at the time, like a dash cam or something like that. But yep, arrogance knows no bounds... :poke2:

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Way

Re: Want to Buy: Broken Suzuki OEM Windshield ---- UPDATE

No longer need this. :2tup:

I did a search on Feebay today and saw a bunch of small parts listed for the GZ. I decided to check out the sellers and found one that deals in motorcycle salvage. I went to their store and did a search. Got nothing. I went back to their Suzuki stuff and this picture caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-G ... ories#shId

Suzuki GZ250 250 Marauder WINSHIELD BRACKET

Silly me, I spelled out w-i-n-d-s-h-i-e-l-d so the search missed it. Can't complain though.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Strelok

Good news. :2tup:

It's amazing how many people misspell things
and sometimes misspelling them yourself or
even broadening your search to not include
all the specific words can help you find 'em.

:tongue:

Old 06-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Sarris

FYI; I found the Suzuki windshield to be totally worthless. Way to small to be of any real use or block any buffeting.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
Strelok

Want to Buy: Broken Suzuki OEM Windshield

Actually I just happened to have removed my Suzuki OEM Windshield
today to try out a couple of Fairings I was thinking about using. There is
a big difference of being with it & without it. While it is not as large as some
of the Aftermarket ones, it looks a lot better than most of them and it fits good.
The one complaint I have is the low quality of the Nuts & Bolts that are used in it.
The previous owner had obviously kept my GZ250 outside and they got a lot of rust on
them. I would recommend replacing them for better hardware or keeping them very well
lubricated for protection from the elements. I probably need to get myself a good cover too.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
FYI; I found the Suzuki windshield to be totally worthless. Way to small to be of any real use or block any buffeting.

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if maybe this is a height issue? I'm by no means "Way to small" but I am at that genetically perfect height of 5'7" which I'm hoping will put me within the windshield's comfort zone. At least as long as it keeps the majority of the bugs/bats/flying beasties off of me, it should be good. I'm hoping so anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok
Actually I just happened to have removed my Suzuki OEM Windshield
today to try out a couple of Fairings I was thinking about using. There is
a big difference of being with it & without it.
While it is not as large as some
of the Aftermarket ones, it looks a lot better than most of them and it fits good.
The one complaint I have is the low quality of the Nuts & Bolts that are used in it.
The previous owner had obviously kept my GZ250 outside and they got a lot of rust on
them. I would recommend replacing them for better hardware or keeping them very well
lubricated for protection from the elements. I probably need to get myself a good cover too.

It's good to know that it makes a big difference because at least it shows something's working. I don't understand those tiny "flyscreen" windshields. Must be for daytime bikes only?

While I'm not one to be too focused on looking good (which is probably a good thing :retard: ) it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit if the windshield looks good. I am happy to hear that the fit is good, that's basically the main reason I went with the OEM is that I really don't have time to be tweaking things.

The point about the quality of the nuts and bolts is well taken. I noticed in the picture above that there appears to be some pitting in the chrome. I'll have to wait and see I suppose. Maybe I'll wire brush the crap out of it and take it from there, maybe powder coat it chrome? I'll have to search for some chrome nuts and bolts. Since you are in Texas (I think dryer?) and still had rust, I am going to have to do something for sure. Maybe it'll be ok to use stainless? Doesn't seem like they'd be too visible..
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Way

Just wanted to update this again.

I installed the windshield yesterday, finally got out on the road this morning. No rain :2tup:

I took a ride about 17 miles to get inspected and then got to riding some more, about 80 miles in all. My top speed was almost 60 mph which on the secondary roads is the max anyway. My impression of the OEM windshield is that for someone of my height, 5'7", it's about the perfect size. The top of the windshield came up as high as the tip of my nose, I was looking just over the edge. From what I've read this is where I need to be and in daylight anyway seemed to work fine. I had my face shield up about a half inch and got a fly rattling about inside in no time. Full face is definitely the way to go, just have to keep the shield down. Wind noise/ buffeting was noticeably reduced from the ride home yesterday without it. The bike does look good with it, and I think it was a reasonable compromise between size and drag. Now if I was taller, that may not be the case to be fair. Just wanted to give a newbie impression of this windshield.