Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
sportpsyc

Bunch os parts, new & used, for sale

Hi Everyone! Here is what I have:

(1) New OEM counter shaft cover (A.K.A. the front sprocket cover $30
(1) great condition OEM 15 tooth front sprocket (has 3200 miles on it) $5
(1) pair windshield mounting arms $10
(1) pair of rear turn signals
(1) right-hand engine head cover--no screws, just the cover. Some pitting on the top, mostly hidden, no rust. $5
(I ) Magneto Cover, no stator or bolts, no rust but alot of pitting $5
(1) Clutch cover, nothng in it and no bolts, no rust but alot of pitting $5
(1) Pair frame rail covers, chrome, decent shape--no rust, very minor pitting in chrome. $5 for both.
Quite a few rear spokes--with adjusters, brand new OEM--.75 Each.

I also have an engine, which I am willing to part out, or sell so you can re-build. To be COMPLETE, it NEEDS: a new sleeve ($99), a new piston and rings, 4 new valves (I am fairly certain the guides are alright--the valves were only minimally damaged), and the electrics--the magneto, magneto cover, and starter. So if you need a crank, transmission, engine case, head, cylinder, rocker box, cam, or other pieces, I have them.

The last thing I will mention is that I have a 2001 GZ250 and a 2006 GZ250, and so far, every part on both bikes has been identical. Even things that have ENTIRELY different part numbers in the book turn out to be identical in reality. The turn signals are a good example of that, as are the engine components. I am SURE as soon as I say that, someone will point out something that is indeed different, I just haven't found it, and that is after re-building the body on one and the motor on the other.

Thanks a bunch, and please let me know if you need any of this stuff--I'm not looking to get rich, just get rid of this stuff and I don't want to pay for or monitor Ebay auctions for the stuff if I can help it, and rather get it to you all directly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Can I get a pic of the saddlebags? Looking for more storage
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Bunch os parts, new & used, for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
--the magneto, magneto cover,
What is wrong with this picture ??

The GZ250 does NOT have a magneto!!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
sportpsyc

Does NOT have Magneto?

Wow! Said with such passion! An interesting and perplexing statement to be sure, since you can go to any OEM Suzuki parts dealer online and see the parts list straight from Suzuki, from which you can then buy a MAGNETO, and a MAGNETO cover, and a MAGNETO cover gasket! (I can give you the link if you would like to see it first hand) And interestingly, because I bought one, it requires a MAGNETO puller! What do you propose the thing is under that MAGNETO cover they list, which has magnets and coils of wound copper? A generator? Hmmm, can't be that, because you can't run accessories off of it because of current that varies with rpm. A generator you can run accessories to because of capacitors. An alternator? Hmmm. can't be that because it produces direct current, not alternating current. The engine has to produce electricity somehow, so what do you propose? I've got it! A small nuclear power plant! Or maybe a homunculus, running on a treadmill! Yeah, that's it!

I am not sure if this is an attempt to teach me a lesson about who is boss around here on my first day after joining this forum Cheasy Rider, but a wise person once said, it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. You don't know who I am, or what I know, or who you are trying to flame out for no reason.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Re: Does NOT have Magneto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
I am not sure if this is an attempt to teach me a lesson about who is boss around here on my first day after joining this forum Cheasy Rider, but a wise person once said, it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. You don't know who I am, or what I know, or who you are trying to flame out for no reason.
You read WAY too much into my simple statement. It was not an attempt to embarass you or to put you down.
It is, in fact, possible that I am the one who is wrong but I think it is more likely that something has been lost in the translation from Japanese. I believe, regardless of what it is called, that it is, in fact, an alternator.

Most humble apologies sir. :oops:

(Now off to look at my shop manual to see if I can tell what it really is.)

Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: Does NOT have Magneto?

(Now off to look at my shop manual to see if I can tell what it really is.)

Well, it appears that there IS some kind of a misunderstanding brewing here.

The Suzuki GZ250 does NOT have a magneto.......at least not for the last 10 model years or so and probably longer than that.

The charging unit is constantly called a "generator" in the service manual but the wiring diagram clearly shows that it really is an alternator, as well as the spec. for it which says it's max. output is 60 V-AC.

So there IS something wrong with this picture.

Are you sure it's the (modern) GZ250 you are talking about?

Oh, and I revise my apology a bit; I am sorry you were offended but I am not sorry that I questioned your information for it appears that it is, in fact, wrong.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
sportpsyc

I have two of these bikes, an 01 and an 06. Both have the same part number as the '98 (the earlies year listed as being made on this web site). In all cases Suzuki calls it a Magneto. Here is the link to the parts page : http://www.westfieldyamahasuzuki.com/pa ... fault.aspx Perhaps something is lost in translation, but that is what is known as, and that is what the shop techs call it. So, your comment might be highly confusing to persons I am hoping to sell parts to, when you argue a random semantic difference. That is upsetting because it makes it sound like I don't even know what I have or what I am selling. I posted parts, you made a statement that these bikes don't even have a part I said was missing. That felt like an attempt to make me look like a fool, no reading into your statement necessary to arrive there.

Regarding the semantic difference you have now pointed out though, I am confused as well. A magneto is a simple, early form of a small mobile generator. It is magnets and a coil of copper wire that when moved across each other generate a electricity. All the electricity flows directly into the battery to be used for ignition and accessories, which are hooked directly to the battery. Generators are the same, but contained capacitors to regulate the vacillations caused by engine RPM. Have you ever noticed that on your car, which has an alternator (and before the 60's a generator), that when you rev the engine, the headlights don't get significantly brighter (maybe a TINY bit, but not appreciable). This is because AC requires a transformer (You cannot "manufacture" AC--all electricity is generated as DC and transformed to AC) which regulates the fluctuation. But on your GZ250, the headlight gets quite a bit brighter and dimmer, doesn't it? (Maybe I am wrong...) But if it were an alternator, and the Japanese translation is wrong, it wouldn't do that. The other thing is, when I had this one apart, there is nothing that looks remotely like a transformer--it looks about as simple as a generator can get. Like a magneto.

So, I don't know--but again, it is semantics when you can't call suzuki and order anything for the bike but a magneto. So I was not wrong to list it as such--that was accurate regardless of intellectual discussion as to what it "really" is. If my aunt had balls, she's be my uncle, if you get me. Apology accepted, in both original and modified versions; I want to have fun on here and not get into semantic warfare over moot points! That is what I do all day--and why I ride my GZ- to unwind!

Whatever it is, it works, and the Japanese make a hell of a bike, even though they don't know that their bikes actually don't have a part they think it does. Let's go ride.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
5th_bike

Beautiful language, both of yours !

I had to look it up: ("the free dictionary")
mag·ne·to (mg-nt)
n. pl. mag·ne·tos
A device that produces alternating current for distribution to the spark plugs, used in the ignition systems of some internal-combustion engines.

For a 2007 GZ250 magneto drawing, see

http://www.alpha-sports.com/scrz/2007%20GZ250/35.htm

Suzuki does call the magneto 'generator' in their wiring diagram, but it's the same thing.

Bottom line, without a magneto AKA generator, our motorcycles won't run !

Now, brothers, peace please :2tup: and ride safe.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Wow.... This was a good one.

I'll admit that my weakness is electronics and wiring. That being said, to me, as a fellow motorhead, the magneto/alternator/generator are the same thing.

In Europe, I've heard many many people call what I know to be an "alternator" on a car a "generator". I've seen the titles of these devices used interchangably.

I wouldn't worry about splitting hairs over something as trivial as giving a name to "that thing that makes spark".
Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I'll admit that my weakness is electronics and wiring. That being said, to me, as a fellow motorhead, the magneto/alternator/generator are the same thing.
Well you can think whatever you want but they are not the same. Just like a cat and a dog are not the same just because they both have 4 legs. :roll:

They may perform a similar function but that does NOT make them the same.
And it is not just a matter of semantics.
A magneto, a generator and an alternator are each seperate and distinct electrical components. They are NOT the same. This comes from an Engineering Technician with 10 years of school and 35 years of experience.

The assertion that you cannot make AC current directly is pattently absurd. If you don't believe that, go ask the power company.

Having said all that, however, I'm willing to cut the OP a little slack because whoever made the parts list he is looking at screwed up. A clue to that is the fact that some of the component parts says "generator" and the Suzuki Service Manual refers to it as a "generator". It is NOT a magneto. I don't know this for sure but since everything in the official Suzuki manual calls it a generator, I'm betting that you can NOT "call Suzuki" and order a magneto.

So........if you don't want to appear dense or stupid, then don't continue to refer to things by the wrong name once you know it is wrong. Which is NOW. The fact that one parts list says magneto doesn't make it one.......and the fact that the Japanesse call it a generator doesn't mean that is the proper term to use in the US motor transportation industry. Over here, the electrical components that produce power on a GZ250 is called an ALTERNATOR, not a generator and certainly not a magneto.

And another note to the OP: Your diatribe would be impressive if it wasn't so totally WRONG. You put MUCH too much stock in a single source........especially one that appears only on the Iternet.

Y'all don't have to take my word for it. If you think it is REALLY that important to try to defend your position, find a community college close to you that has an Auto Shop program with an instructor who is over 30. Go ask him if a magneto, generator and alternator are the same thing.
Clue: If they are really the same thing, then they would be interchangeable.