50-100 miles 8 11.11%
100-200 miles 6 8.33%
200 miles + 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #41
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokebear View Post
I had a car pull out right in front of me (20-30 feet) and low sided the bike. Took a spill didn't hit anything but my wrist is painful and I've got a tibial plateau fracture in my right leg. Now i've got to see an ortho and see just how bad it is.
That's got to hurt a bunch. By all means see all the Docs that you can. Get everything repaired/treated to renew your health. As we get older, Lynda and I have met a lot of medical folks to keep us in good health. After all, we only have one body and it has to last a lifetime.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #42
cokebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
That's got to hurt a bunch. By all means see all the Docs that you can. Get everything repaired/treated to renew your health. As we get older, Lynda and I have met a lot of medical folks to keep us in good health. After all, we only have one body and it has to last a lifetime.
Yeah also going to contact a lawyer to see if I have a case for covering the medical bills and time off work. I just moved and started a new job so no medical coverage until mid December. Guy was driving a Mercedes so I'm sure he's covered. Hate to go that route because guy felt so bad about it. The problem is no hit so it's not considered an accident, only a traffic incident. Not sure where that leaves me other than in pain and looking for an ortho on the cheap.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #43
Water Warrior 2

Likely a lawyer will be needed to recover losses and proof of fault. An incident may be harder to prove than an accident if the other driver changes his mind about who is at fault. Keep us informed and be patient with the legal/medical system.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #44
cokebear

Lawyer is taking the case at least. Meeting with their investigator Thursday. The medical system is more of a joke. Can't get to the Ortho referred until the 28th. Only got enough medication from the ER doc to last until today/tonight. Don't think I should have been released until I was looked at by an ortho doctor. I am heading back to the ER to see if there is more they can do for me, even if it is only more medication. My wrist has gotten much worse since the visit and they didn't even look at it that night. It's insane the amount of trouble a 10MPH spill has caused.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Ouch! Be absolutely sure your wrist is taken care of.
Years ago a young friend of mine had an oops on my dirt bike at a lower speed and really really damaged his wrist. He hung on too long and dislocated all the bones in his wrist. Surgery and 11 months off work too boot. 90% of his wrist flexability came back after a lot of work. He was fortunate enough to have health coverage and a sick benefit plan that kept him fed and paid the rent.
Don't sign anything without consulting your lawyer.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #46
cokebear

Nothing broken in the wrist at least and the Dr. has moved up my apt. on my leg to Thursday.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #47
cokebear

So my leg/knee is pretty bad. You know things aren't good when the physicians assistant tells you you have really done it. I am going to have surgery next week. Dr. said it's a really really bad break and the prognosis isn't great even after surgery. Mostly the type of break doesn't heal well and there is usually some pain that can't be mitigated. If I had been older he probably would be looking at doing a total knee replacement.

The only bright side to this is the lawyer's investigator seems to think I shouldn't have a problem with the insurance company since the guy admitted to pulling out in front of me and causing my wreck. So I should be ok for medical costs and lost work time and getting the bike fixed and all that other stuff.

Not sure what this will mean for my riding in the long term but right now I'm gonna focus on getting better.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #48
Water Warrior 2

Knee injuries can be bad but here's hoping the medical folks can iron things out for you. Modern medicine is really fantastic in what it can accomplish to repair a body. You may have an iffy knee for a long time but it surely is better than no knee on a permanent basis. Work with your lawyer for the best in medical assistance and be assured of future coverage down the road.
Riding will be on the back burner for a while but you will likely have need for your ride in the future. Stay positive and keep smiling. The mishap could have been far worse.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #49
alantf

In April I slipped and fractured my femur. Now I've got a steel tube inside the bone, with screws and bolts holding it in place. Nearly eight months on, I still have pain around the area of the screws. The doctors have finished with me, but my granddaughter (Who's also a doctor) tells me that the pain may never go away. Seems like positive thinking for those of us with leg problems is the only way to go, so I got back riding as soon as I could, even though it's a bit awkward swinging my leg over the seat to get on and off, and my leg stiffens up after I get off. Hope your knee heals enough for you to get up and go in a few months.

Just a side note - I didn't touch the bike for the four months that I couldn't ride, so when I went to it the battery had screwed up, and I had to replace it, so it might be a good idea to remember to hook your battery tender up if you'll not be riding for a while.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #50
cokebear

Thanks for the reminder about the battery. I'll have to get it on the tender. I think the bike is gonna end up in the shop for some work after my lawyer gets working on the case. It didn't get a lot of damage but there are enough scrapes and bent parts that it needs some help.

Just found an image of the repair for this fracture. I am not a smart man!

Last edited by cokebear; 11-21-2014 at 07:11 PM.