Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Drastic

Bike stalling out within a few mins of riding

Alright, this may be a bit long, but here is goes.
I have a 2006 GZ250 which I've had for the past year. No issues until about a week ago. Started running really rough and completely died on my way home. Will start back up (sometimes takes a bit) but dies again after about a minute of riding. Runs rough on RUN and RES petcock settings and hesitates when I give it gas while riding before it stalls out completely.

So far I've:
Made sure battery is fully charged
drained the gas to make sure there wasn't debris or water
cleaned carb and made sure jets were clear and float was ok
blew out hoses going to carb
removed and cleaned petcock and made sure filters weren't clogged
checked air filter which was clean
Checked hoses from air filter housing, they were clear
changed spark plug
checked gas cap filter
Checked and cleaned kill switch contacts

Anyone have any other ideas on what I may have missed that could be causing this? Could it be electrical?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
wacio

Does it run on "prime" petcock setting?
Old 06-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Drastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
Does it run on "prime" petcock setting?
Sorry for the delay, just had a chance to try it on prime. It may run a tiny bit better on prime but still cuts out and dies.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

Charging system possibly? I know you said the battery was fully charged and it might be when you check it, but maybe it's being drained rapidly and the charging system can't keep up. I had an issue where the bike would start but as soon as I tried to take off it would die. Checked my battery and it had bad cells so it could not maintain charge to produce spark.

Maybe that might help? Looks like you check out most everything else...

chandlerbingfl
Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
wacio

I gave this advice to another rider recently - from my observation: check if the cable going from coil to spark plug is not touching head. I was doing valve adjustment on bike I bought recently and cable is long enough that it was touching cylinder head. Insulation on it was melted quite deep. It is not easy to see it because of the decorative head covers, without pulling one of them or the tank. If your cable is melted and shorting the spark it could easily cause bike to behave as you describe. In my case at 7k miles it was still not shorted so I decided to just tie cable with zip tie to frame away of the head.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
wacio

To add to my prior post. Carb has few separate circuits capable of delivering fuel so If bike runs but looses power or cuts out during throttle application but recovers "sort of" then throttle is manipulated (more opened or closed) - this would suggest one of the carb circuits is plugged. If bike just dies instantly of jerks like its missing a beat (no power - full power) that is more indicative of ignition issue.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #7
Drastic

Cool appreciate the input so far guys. I had thought about the battery issue as well so I went ahead and bought a new one, unfortunately still doing the same thing even with a brand new battery.

I'll definitely check the spark plug cable again to make sure the connection is good.

After replacing the battery the other day when I tried riding it down the street it did pretty much the same as described before. As soon as you start riding it just sounds off, running rough. I start to give it a little throttle and it just bogs down then will just totally die, sometimes I can coast a little and it'll come back for a few seconds then die again. When i made it back into the driveway there was also a loud backfire this time when turning it off.

Unfortunately I'm out on the road now for work, so I can't look at anything else until next Tues. Thanks a bunch for the help so far, it's much appreciated!!