Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Moedad

Re: Old Houses in Marietta Georgia

We have a few adobes and churches that date back into the 1770s and 80's around here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
These old homes ......... were built between 1875 and 1920
Old? To us, 1920 is called "pre war". Old is like 1100 AD. I've even heard people talk about "the new church", that was built in 1350. :whistle: :roll:
The oldest buildings in North America are cliff dwellings and similar dwellings in the Four Corners (UT, CO, NM, AZ) going back 1,000 years, give or take. A couple of the towns in AZ (Old Oraibi)/NM (Acoma) were settled in the 11th century and have been continuosly inhabited ever since. So we're no slouches in the historicity department. :tongue:
Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I've been to the ruins in New Mexico and Arizona, Moe, and it ain't exactly the same. In England you can sit at a bar that's 1000 years old. I once did some work at a law firm (near Banbury Cross of nursery rhyme fame) that had a hallway between the "old" and "new" buildings. The old building was 900 years old! The new building a mere 700. The doorways were too small for normal size people to fit through without ducking and there wasn't a square corner in the place. But they had computers in there and everything!

Old houses here in Anaheim Hills are the ones built near the freeway in the seventies. Now that is OLD! All stone fireplacey and 70's Ski Chalet inside with little tiny windows.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #14
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Alan's got a point. "Old World" and "Old School" are two completely different things.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I've been to the ruins in New Mexico and Arizona, Moe, and it ain't exactly the same.
Not exactly, but they ARE old, although you wouldn't able to sit in a bar dating from back then, for sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

I stopped by some of these years ago when the kids were small. Surprisingly, they were right beside the road and were wide open. We were able to look into and, if we wanted to (we didn't) go "inside" 900 year old ruins. I wondered how much longer they would last given the typical lack of respect that most of us have for this stuff. At least there was no graffiti on them (yet.) I think this was near Flagstaff, AZ.