Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Etiquette & Guidelines Open Discussion

Talk about them here.
With the exception of spam, there will be no moderation of this thread.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Etiquette & Guidelines Open Discussion

Sounds good to me. You obviously care about this site and have spend a fair amount of time thinking about this and writing it up in as clear and as direct as you can. I think practically all of us abide by these "rules" and if a conflict does come up on here, I don't think it is intentionally instigated by anyone as a direct attack on someone else, although it may seem to come off that way. To oversee this site (including reading all the posts everyday), takes a fair amount of time and energy. We are all in this together for the common good and I would like to be the first to commend you for your efforts in keeping this forum working as well as it does and for keeping us all together on the right track. Thanks. :2tup: :rawk: :biggrin:
Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Sounds good to me. You obviously care about this site and have spend a fair amount of time thinking about this and writing it up in as clear and as direct as you can. I think practically all of us abide by these "rules" and if a conflict does come up on here, I don't think it is intentionally instigated by anyone as a direct attack on someone else, although it may seem to come off that way. To oversee this site (including reading all the posts everyday), takes a fair amount of time and energy. We are all in this together for the common good and I would like to be the first to commend you for your efforts in keeping this forum working as well as it does and for keeping us all together on the right track. Thanks. :2tup: :rawk: :biggrin:
:plus1:

And I think most of us realize that anybody can have a bad day and do/say things that you normally wouldn't. That is to be expected; it comes with the territorty and should be excused.

The problem IS with people who insist on defending bad actions. Thankfully that doesn't occur very often and usually resolves itself (one way or another) fairly quickly.

Thanks again to Dupo and Patrick for keeping things going. :2tup:

Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Talk about them here.
With the exception of spam, there will be no moderation of this thread.
Now having read the other post............I have two comments:

The paragraph about excessive quoting should ENCOURAGE a short quote......or an item added to encourage that. It is often confusing to post a short comment with no reference, as it might apply to any one of several previous posts.

A post of "Boy that's stupid." without a quote might make several people mad when that wasn't the intent.

AND .......we can't hijack a thread ?? That spoils all the fun. :roll: :biggrin:
Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I think the content control gets a bit heavy handed and as a result the board content tends to be homogenized and most of the contributions are from the same group of people. There have been a number of people (not saying they were nice people, smart people or even people whose opinions I was particularly interested in) that have been drummed off the forum because they picked a (verbal) fight, or wanted to discuss changing their GZ into a 350 or some other verboten topic.

(What's the big deal? It's words, we live in America, and we supposedly value free speech and diversity. I understand many of these posters were morons, but live and let live.)

As a result, 80% of the posts, or more, are from the same 10 people (sadly, I am one of those 10.)

I have never run one of these that has had this much input for so long so maybe this is the way it has to be. My experience is that people get bored and move on (see Dupo and Badbob. for example.)

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
mrlmd1

"My experience is that people get bored and move on (see Dupo and Badbob. for example.)"

And don't forget Lord Jonathan.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Without board management and "content control" then the board would have no structure and we might as well eliminate all forums but General. With the exception of the 350cc bullshit from the past few months, I have never locked, merged or banned a duplicated thread from a new user. We (the board members) in general have a pretty good reputation of replying with multiple links to other more thorough threads on the topic, and will often even discuss the topic (ad infinitum) in the duped thread anyway.

The "top speed" thread happened to be the fourth thread by THE SAME USER with an identical subject. It takes literally no time to click "View your posts" on the top (right next to the very handy "View unread posts") and find the thread you already have on the subject, and reply to that. Not only is it good etiquette, but because of the reaction in that thread, it now will be an enforced offense, unless it is disclaimed in the new thread that the old one couldn't be found. Each case will be reviewed on an individual basis.

As said before, I do read every post here, and will continue to do so while I am capable. It's an honor to administrate this board since it's really the most restrained public message board I've encountered in my 20 years working on the Internet and its predecessors. It's by far the best one I've managed personally - due specifically to the users here.

As Easy said, we all have off-days, and I've certainly had enough of my own. If I come off as harsh sometimes, it's not intended that way. However, stern moderation is necessary for repeat infractions. It's better to hang a head on the fencepost every once in a while as a warning for the outsiders, than it is to let anyone come into your village and run amok with your valuables.

Thanks to Dupo for his work here building this site to the premier GZ250 information site IN THE WORLD. We still have a lot of work to do and it's going to take all of us to keep us there.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
"My experience is that people get bored and move on (see Dupo and Badbob. for example.)"

And don't forget Lord Jonathan.
He is sorely missed.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think the content control gets a bit heavy handed and as a result the board content tends to be homogenized and most of the contributions are from the same group of people. There have been a number of people (not saying they were nice people, smart people or even people whose opinions I was particularly interested in) that have been drummed off the forum because they picked a (verbal) fight, or wanted to discuss changing their GZ into a 350 or some other verboten topic.

(What's the big deal? It's words, we live in America, and we supposedly value free speech and diversity. I understand many of these posters were morons, but live and let live.)

As a result, 80% of the posts, or more, are from the same 10 people (sadly, I am one of those 10.)

I have never run one of these that has had this much input for so long so maybe this is the way it has to be. My experience is that people get bored and move on (see Dupo and Badbob. for example.)
Nobody on here wants to "Homogenize" anyone's posts, we just don't want 18 different threads on a 350cc conversion that you are NEVER going to do, or a different thread every time you go 1/10th of a mph faster.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
music man

Not only that, it is one thing to "accidentally" post two threads about the same thing, but when its becomes three or more, it is just rude and lazy.