Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Jer

Bike + Music = Problem???

Who here rides with headphones?

Has this caused you any problems?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Re: Bike + Music = Problem???

I haven't yet, but I may at some point in the future (when I'm way more experienced), but I'm not sure.
I think it's illegal in Florida. You may want to check for your state, just so you know.

*edited for typos.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I've ridden with headphones a couple of times, and it really isn't that bad, unless the fit is off. Like Magnar said, most states have a law against wearing headphones (covering both ears) while operating a moving vehicle. Other riders I've talked to wear just one of the headphones. I haven't tried that, but my problem with it is that you might catch yourself focusing too much on the music, and much less on the road, making you not see that dead (or worse - live) skunk in the middle of your lane.

Earplugs aren't bad for long distance, and with proper ones, they feel just fine. I have problems with earplugs in because it makes the voices in my head that much louder and harder to ignore...

Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Personally, I prefer the sound of the bike to music anyway. I can always sing to myself.

My voice is sweet as salt...
Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Just the music of the bike and road. The cage has the music if I am alone. Not real good at multitasking anymore.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Remember in the MSF course where they talked about how braking through a curve is bad due to division of traction? IMO the same holds true for dividing your attention. Not worth it to me. Plus, like jonathan180iq said, I prefer the sound of the bike and the trees and the birds. It kind of defeats the purpose of riding...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Jer

All good points.

I'm leaning towards leaving that out of the mix.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You guys know you can just call me Jonathan, right?
the 180iq and my funky password are just ways to keep hackers out of my business.

You can call me Jonathan or :skull: Lord of the Forum :skull: ; whatever works for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
music man

I have listened to headphones on my bike since day one. I have some noise cancelling ear buds that are really nice because even when I don't feel like hearing music they block out a lot of the wind noise. As for the whole "sound of the engine" thing, I keep my headphones turned down low enough that I can still faintly hear the engine of my bike running, I don't "jam out" like I do in my cage.

I would have to say overall it is not all that dangerous as long as you are responsible, and you are not too engulfed in your musical experience on your bike. I personally don't know how people ride long distances without it, but I can't go more than a couple of hours without music, even when I am not on my bike. I think that safety wise though, it might be better (if you can afford it) to go with something like Sarris did and put some speakers on your handlebars and jam that way. Probably would be less likely to get "too involved" in your music. Me personally I am poor so my 40 dollar MP3 player will just have to do.

Later
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
You guys know you can just call me Jonathan, right?
the 180iq and my funky password are just ways to keep hackers out of my business.

You can call me Jonathan or :skull: Lord of the Forum :skull: ; whatever works for you.

:biggrin: you are now officially "Lord of the Forum". (under your username)

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook