Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
DrJimmy

M50 Custom

This coming year I will be buying a new bike. I have my eye on a M50 and will be giving my GZ250 to my friends wife.
Of course I was wondering if anyone here has any experience on an M50..
Thanks
Dr Jimmy

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
burkbuilds

Re: M50 Custom

I think Water Warrior's better half, Linda, rides an M50 if I remember correctly.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I think Water Warrior's better half, Linda, rides an M50 if I remember correctly.
Sounds right to me.

Also check HERE:
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Yup, Lynda graduated from her GZ to the M-50 earlier this year. It is a very nice riding bike with a nice power delivery. Had to do some mods to make it fit her 5 Ft 3 In framework. Basically the bars were too far forward for her reach. Swapped in some C-50 bars with more width and pull back. It is a lot heavier than the GZ but you would never know it once on the move. The bike is set up with a large wide aftermarket windshield, crashbars, Nelson-Rigg bags, driving lights, heated grips, Stebel air horn, headlight modulator, a pair of modulating HyperLight brake lights, battery tender cord, heated clothing power cord, drivers back rest, fuse panel and relays. Makes a real nice touring machine without going to the huge V-twins that are so expensive and heavier than they should be. Oh ya, I was a busy fellow this spring getting it all together but it was worth it.
A very well running FI engine with water cooling and a driveshaft to make life easier overall. I had one very nice ride on it for about 70 or 80 miles. This bike handles the curves beautifully at speed and is not overly cumbersome in town traffic either.
Hiils that had the GZ gasping at 50 MPH at the top are a real joy with the M. Roll on the throttle (top gear) at the bottom and the top of the hill sees 2x the limit. Yes it is fast enough if you want to go there. The bike will cruise comfy at 60 or 70 MPH with reserve power on tap. It is a good bike to grow into from the GZ and has a lot of folks enjoying 2 wheels without breaking the bank.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
alantf

What's a "headlight modulator"? I've seen mention of it before, & I didn't really understand it then. :??:

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
mrlmd1

It makes the headlight seem to flash, alternating between high and low beams, for greater visibility in the daytime. They have a photo sensor so that it doesn't do this at night or in dim light. It flashes maybe once-twice/sec.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
It makes the headlight seem to flash, alternating between high and low beams, for greater visibility in the daytime. They have a photo sensor so that it doesn't do this at night or in dim light. It flashes maybe once-twice/sec.
Nope, you are wrong. Modulators will either modulate high OR low beam but not both at the same time. The power is varied from 17% to approx 80% of full power to create the effect. The law sets the modulation at 4 times per second. Mods are legal throughout the U.S. and Canada. Check with your federal DOT to get more info on the specifics. The legal definition is identical on both sides of the border. You are correct about the light sensor for night riding.
Kisan Technologies make the best and most expensive modulators but are also the easiest to install. They are a plug and play unit with no wire cutting or splicing. The Vstrom has had a modulator since early 06 with no problems or bulb failures ever. The M also got a Kisan unit. Lynda's GZ had a cheaper make but it proved somewhat fussy and unreliable.
As a side note, you will also meet and educate a lot of LEOs on the road. Be sure to carry your documentation about modulators.
Opinions vary about Mods but I personally use them for added visibility and safety and think they are good. It was the top of the list for Lynda's M when she got it in the spring.
$ spent on safety may prevent some one turning left in front of you and all the money in the world will not buy back your health.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
mrlmd1

Yes you are so right WW. Didn't have my morning liquid caffeine dose yet. But I think I have seen some flash slower than 4/sec, could be wrong.
But at least I was correct about that they do not flash at night or in the dark so I can get half credit.
I think I am going to get one and put it one my S50.There are quite a few too chose from but maybe the Kisan may be the one bec. of how easy and cleaner it is to install. Did you hook up yours and Lynda's to the high beam?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Both bikes modulate on high beam. We also have Silver Star bulbs which are a good value. Modulators have been proven to lengthen bulb life too due to less heat build-up. Check the Kisan Technologies website for the correct application for your bike. Aftermarket suppliers may also sell for less. Xmas discounts may apply.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
dannylightning

m50, my friend has one and loves it, im my opinion it is one of the best balanced and lightest feeling big framed bikes out there. it was the first big bike i ever tried out. i ended up with a suzuki volusia same thing as the c 50, got it with low miles for a great price,

that m50 special edition that is orange and black sure is a nice bike, i had set on one of those several times at the dealer and and for some reason it felt better that the regular m-50 does maybe i am crazy but it felt better to me.

my volusia has the same 800cc motor as the m50 if i remember correctly, i can get up over 100mph with no problem, i don't recommend going this fast,but i have done it once and it rode great at 105mph. i can cruz at 80 mph all day long.