Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
b1pig

cams/valves... top end noise

I know I've had to have complained about this before. the engine on my wife's GZ has got to be the noisiest engine ever. I've checked and rechecked the valve adjustment on her bike several times. I can NEVER get the thing to quiet down. It just has a very prominent ticking noise that I swear sounds like there is too much slop. Maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes it sounds worse than others.

I've recorded it a few times, but theres never a good sample. Yesterday, I came home from work. The wife had her bike out of the garage and had been riding it around the house, so it was warm. When she fired it up, it seemed louder than I remember.... but her bike is RARELY ridden. and while its apples to oranges, my KLR hardly makes a sound.

anyone ever had to replace their cams? any history of the cam lobes wearing abnormally? I'm up for whatever. Wife loves her bike, and I'd hate for it to leave her stranded.

I'm using the official Suzuki tool to adjust the valves and the proper gauge. (i had to buy a particular set)... but I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop to see if they can come up with a better result than me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

No personal experience with this but some one will be along shortly with real advice. Keep in mind there should be some slop in the valves to allow them to close completely. Valves ticking are a must for proper running. Can't remember ever having a thread about a cam going out either.

Noise itself is both worrysome and good at the same time. Think back to exactly where the bike was parked or ridden when you heard the noises. Parked out in the open the noise is free to go anywhere it can. Parked near or in a garage the noise will be much more concentrated and reflect back to you.
While riding you can get noise reflected back from a long concrete barrier along the road. Same goes for a line of store fronts close to the street as you ride by. Hope this helps a wee bit.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
chandlerbingfl

I've even noticed that as my oil nears end of life (?), my GZ gets a bit noisier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
No personal experience with this but some one will be along shortly with real advice. Keep in mind there should be some slop in the valves to allow them to close completely. Valves ticking are a must for proper running. Can't remember ever having a thread about a cam going out either.

Noise itself is both worrysome and good at the same time. Think back to exactly where the bike was parked or ridden when you heard the noises. Parked out in the open the noise is free to go anywhere it can. Parked near or in a garage the noise will be much more concentrated and reflect back to you.
While riding you can get noise reflected back from a long concrete barrier along the road. Same goes for a line of store fronts close to the street as you ride by. Hope this helps a wee bit.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
b1pig

Well, I still have no idea where to go with this one. i'd hate for it to be the rod bearing.

we pulled the bikes out yesterday and had the intention of going for a ride. got her bike warmed up and rode it around the yard. worked great. wife got on the highway, throttled it up... and it fell flat on its face. So. looks like the carb is coming off. again. this has got to be the easiest carb to clog up i've ever seen. even draining the bowl does no good.
Instead of both of us going for a ride, wife took my KLR out for a 45 minute ride to clear her thoughts.

Since I have to take the carb off again, I may just drop the whole engine and do some exploration to see about this noise.... but it wont be any time soon. working two jobs is rough.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
motobikemike

You might want to look for a loose valve seat insert, its been known to happen in more than a few cases with the gz.