Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
greatmaul

Some days you're glad you're in a car

So I was driving the cage home tonight, on an unlit, 2 lane, 55mph country road when I noticed a small log in the opposite lane. "Oh, that's odd," I thought as I continued on at 55-60mph, "I wonder if I should stop and pick up that little OH MY GOSH!!!"

and I was glad I was in a car, because all of a sudden there were logs, plural, all over the road. I slammed on the brakes and tried to swerve, but of course there was a car in the other lane, so I went over a bunch of logs and branches, and my car was fine, but man... I was glad I wasn't riding. They weren't big logs, just bigger than what I would call a branch - maybe 3" diameter and 2 to 4 feet long.

Moral of the story: when you see one odd thing on the road, it might be a harbinger of many more odd things coming up.

I did stop, btw, and kick and drag those stupid things off the road.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
PimpS

Re: Some days you're glad you're in a car

Lucky call! Great you made it!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: Some days you're glad you're in a car

Holy sheep dip, that could have been a big time disaster even in the car. Glad to hear you didn't get bit by somebody else's bad Karma.

Had a weird and terrifying moment years ago on the highway. Wheeling in my full size Ford 4x4 on a 4 lane divided highway and I'm just cruising along at the speed limit in the outside(right)lane. A car slowly passed me with no drama and all was just fine. Looking ahead I see a piece of 2x4 about 3 feet long in the left lane and the car is going to hit it. Time almost stood still as I watched the 2x4 spin out from the right side of the car and lift and spin like a helicopter rotor. Right into my path of travel. Looked like it would hit the lower portion of the windshield and we would probably die. I just froze in place and watched. I could never have avoided it anyway. A miracle happened that day. The 2x4 glanced off the leading edge of the hood while it was still spinning and lifted enough to glance off the top leading edge of the cab. It landed on the side of the road and I didn't even slow down. My Guardian Angel was with us that day for sure.
Yeah I changed the topic a bit but it just goes to show us that even a car/truck can be a dangerous place with the wrong circumstances. Now back to your regular programming.

Login or Register to Remove Ads