Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Law makers are not riders.

A new law is coming into effect June/01/2012 in B.C. It will be illegal to stand on the footpegs of a bike. A rider and passenger must always be seated. Sounds like a smart law except it isn't smart at all. Anyone who has ridden on any surface besides a smooth paved road will be shaking their head at this. Standing on the pegs is a common exercise that promotes safer passage and control on any rough road. Only 1 in 6 km of our roads are paved and not all of them are smooth. I have ridden on pavement that is all bumps and potholes. Not a road to be on when seated.
I wonder if any of our elected officials ever rode a bicycle when they were kids.

This law came into effect because of the insistance of one woman. Sadly this mother lost her son who was stunting on a sport bike and was not seated at the time. I can not imagine her grief but the law as it stands is going to cause more grief and possible fatalties in the long run.
Stunters are a little nuts in my opinion but don't penalize other riders for riding with their safety and control in mind.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
dentheman

Re: Law makers are not riders.

Here in Texas that law would be quashed quickly, not so in BC? Don't you have motorcycle organizations that give inputs to lawmaker's? Our state legislature seeks input from the MSF, Texas Dept of Public Safety motorcycle division, other motorcycle organizations, and riders, before making such laws. Once in a while an odd bill gets introduced, like requiring proof of health insurance with MOTORCYCLE printed across the top of it (I personally got involved with that one even before I owned a bike). That bill died before becoming law and I have not heard any more about it.

It is probably academic since LEO's wouldn't give tickets to those standing on pegs to go over roughness, pot holes, rail crossings, etc, or would they?

Anyway, you and other riders still have until June 1 to deluge your lawmakers with emails and phone calls. Sometimes that's what it takes.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

I'm sure this law is aimed at stunters primarily but it is too broad in it's scope. The actual wording is unreasonable and should be challenged in court soon after the first few riders are ticketed when they are riding with safety and control in mind. We already have laws regarding stunting, sitting on the tank, the bars or standing on the rear pegs during a wheelie. I say "Get Em and Get Em Good". Using your legs as a suspension system for your body on a rough surface is a no-brainer.
At least most LEO's will use common sense and know there are worst things to watch for besides a rider trying to save his/her spine on a rough road. I would have to say nearly half the LEO's in this area are riders so they will understand the situation.
I have ridden with LEO's on their days off and they are great folks. I have also mentioned that I am just another rider when they are working. If I do something wrong and they stop me, we are not friends at that instance in time.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
dentheman

Our law enforcement doesn't even chase crotch rockets that have broken the law. They can't catch them without endangering them or others!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Our law enforcement doesn't even chase crotch rockets that have broken the law. They can't catch them without endangering them or others!
Sounds like a chopper is needed. The RCMP have one to follow and video some of the real go getters. They also have a couple police bikes that can really move so it makes for entertaining U-tube vids from the air.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Skunkhome

I can hoist myself up off the seat for a moment or two to keep my rump from being driven up around my ears but riding while standingq on the pegs of a cruiser seems to me to be near impossible. Now if I'm on a standard or sportster standing on the pegs that are directly under the rider is a breeze. Law sounds too broad to stand up in court.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
I can hoist myself up off the seat for a moment or two to keep my rump from being driven up around my ears but riding while standingq on the pegs of a cruiser seems to me to be near impossible. Now if I'm on a standard or sportster standing on the pegs that are directly under the rider is a breeze. Law sounds too broad to stand up in court.
Bikes like my Vstrom are ideal for standing. Dirt bikes are even better. Trials bikes are specifically designed for standing and have an almost seat just for show. Our law makers painted everyone with the same brush. Given enough public outcry the law should be eventually rewritten with a more sensible view or just filed in the garbage where it belongs.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
It was in the English newspapers the other day, that the police spotted a thief who had stolen a quad bike, but refused to chase him because he wasn't wearing a helmet (an offence in itself) & were afraid that he might hurt himself!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
It was in the English newspapers the other day, that the police spotted a thief who had stolen a quad bike, but refused to chase him because he wasn't wearing a helmet (an offence in itself) & were afraid that he might hurt himself!!!!!!!
I think the system is broken. What about the victim of the theft? Maybe the thief will come back and steal a car without wearing a seat belt and get a pass by the cops.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Rionna

Our officers won't pursue a crotch rocket either. They will attempt to call ahead and have it intercepted but normally they just get away. An officer has to weigh the benefit vs the detriment of continuing a hot pursuit chase. Too many innocent folks have been critically injured in needless police chases. Hopefully the victim had insurance.