Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
chasp72

First 100 mile ride

I got my 2001 GZ250 in June (300 miles on it) and have been using it for my 3 mile commute and for errands withing a 10 mile radius. I've got 1600 miles now. After completing the MSF course two weeks ago, I had enough confidence to expand my horizons a little, so yesterday I did my first 100 mile trip (50 miles each way). I went from Lombard, IL to Marengo, IL, primarily on US-20. The first 15-20 miles are four-lane, but it was great to get on a two lane road once out in the country.

I'm looking forward to my next trip. I've got married kids (and grandchildren) 80 miles away, 200 miles away and 300 miles away. Think I'll start working my way up.

The MSF course was great. I learned and practices a lot of good techniques for safe riding.

Any ideas on good ways to connect with other individuals and/or group rides willing to let a little old 250 tag along?

Chuck

2001 GZ250

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Gadzooks Mike

Hi Chuck! Congratulations on your ride! If you're looking for group rides and things like that, take a look here:
http://www.lets-ride.com/ridesevents.htm

There are others as well. There's a ride coming up on Sept 28-30 around the Cumberland Gap area and it will be mostly small displacement bikes like the GZ-250 and a few Honda Rebels (250 and 450). http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=559

I've found that no matter where I want to go, there's a two-lane to get me there! Enjoy!!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Now you've done it Chuck. Your kids will want to commit you and the grandkids will think you are the greatest. Work your way up to extended rides and take breaks on a regular basis too. Keep hydrated and wear comfy gear that will protect you from the elements /or an oops.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
chasp72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
Hi Chuck! Congratulations on your ride! If you're looking for group rides and things like that, take a look here:
http://www.lets-ride.com/ridesevents.htm

There are others as well. There's a ride coming up on Sept 28-30 around the Cumberland Gap area and it will be mostly small displacement bikes like the GZ-250 and a few Honda Rebels (250 and 450). http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=559

I've found that no matter where I want to go, there's a two-lane to get me there! Enjoy!!
Thanks for the response and for the lets-ride website. I already see one in Illinois that looks interesting and emailed for more information. Cumberland sounds interesting, but I've got to work my way up some.
Chuck

2001 GZ250
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
chasp72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Now you've done it Chuck. Your kids will want to commit you and the grandkids will think you are the greatest. Work your way up to extended rides and take breaks on a regular basis too. Keep hydrated and wear comfy gear that will protect you from the elements /or an oops.
Actually, my wife is the one who wants to commit me. She is calling this my third or forth mid-life crisis. I always wear my bright yellow riding jacket and bright yellow helmet. It's quite a site with the red GZ250, but I'm doing all I can to be seen. It was a little cool and I was glad to have the jacket on at 60 MPH.
Chuck

2001 GZ250