Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
rayzuki

LOOKING FOR TIPS

I know this is just my inexperience but, I am having a little starting out on an incline. I am rushing to get going as soon as I let off the brake and the bike starts to roll back and I'm stalling out. Can anyone offer any tips for this? Maybe I just need to practice some more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
What i did was roll to a stop and keep it in 1st gear while holding the clutch in. My left foot on the ground and my right on the rear brake keeping the bike from rolling back. When the light turned green, i'd give it more gas than usual and let out the clutch slower than usual. As the bike grabbed to go, id let off the rear brake and away i go.

You'll get the hang of it rather quickly. I bet in a week you'll be able to do it without using the rear brake. And yep, practice ...

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: LOOKING FOR TIPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
I am rushing to get going as soon as I let off the brake and the bike starts to roll back and I'm stalling out. Can anyone offer any tips for this? Maybe I just need to practice some more.
Yes, more practice but it won't do much good to be practicing the wrong technique!! :roll:

It really is kind of hard to stall a GZ in first gear......usually.

You need to speed up the engine a bit, let the clutch out a bit until it just begins to grab and ONLY THEN release the brake.
In all but the slightest inclines, this means that you must be "holding the hill" with the back brake, not the front one.
This is what Dupo described.

The drag on the clutch should prevent it from rolling back and the extra revs. should prevent it from stalling.
When you do release the brake, then engage the clutch and increase the revs. at the same time. This is what you need to practice.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's just like learning to drive a straight shift. Personally, I think the best thing you can do is ride over to a very lonely hill and just work on it for 15-20 minutes. Then, take a break. Go for a short ride. Come back to the same hill, and do it again. You'll figure it out.

Many moons ago when my father was teaching me how to drive a straight shift, he left me on a hill by myself as he walked home. Given the situation, you have two choices. You can figure it out and drive home, or you can sit on that hill alone for the rest of your life.

You'll figure it out. Just keep trying.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
davidc83

I learned how to use a clutch by buying a truck with a clutch; having my best friend drop me off at the dealer and I had to get it home. More riding experience, the easier it will become.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Badbob

I used the rear brake for awhile and still do on a steep hill but now I almost never use it. I don't know when it happened but one day I noticed I was not using the rear brake. I've been driving with a clutch since I was a a kid so I just had to learn to do it withmy hands instead of my feet.

Starting on a hill is a skill you learn by practice. Perfect practice builds perfect skills.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
rayzuki

I have been working on this. Getting better but still need more practice. thanks for the tips.