Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Not enough air and front wheel wobblies... All in my head?

I often feel like my front tire doesn't have enough air in it, especially when I "bump" into my driveway. I got a digital pressure gauge and checked it after filling it a bit and it was okay (that was a few weeks ago, not sure how quickly they lose air...) I chalked up my feeling to not being used to having a dual piston front shock (which I assume travels a bit when you hit a bump.)

(Do you guys use the gas station for air or a bicycle pump or something else? My gas station thing seems to let out as much air as it puts in and the gauge seems to be kind of iffy..) I used to have to pump up my bicycle tires before every ride, but they were 130 PSI and a hell of a lot smaller than these. Generally, I'm going by shape more than a gauge to check for flatness, because the effing guage lets out air too.

Today, I thought the front tire was wobbling (this was at about 40-45) but I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination. I tried looking down at the wheel, but that kind of messed up balance so I just kept feeling for it and remained vigilant (so I would be "ready" if the wheel fell off, I guess.) I don't know if it was the wind or the road surface (I've ridden over some long sections of grooved pavement, so I know what that's like - this was kind of like it, except there was no grooved pavement.)

When I got home, I checked to make sure the front wheel wasn't loose, didn't seem to be, and it seemed pretty firm. I have to find my pressure gauge to check the PSI.

Has anyone else had this sensation? Is it real or all in my head?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Not enough air and front wheel wobblies... All in my head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Is it real or all in my head?
Those noises you hear, Alan, they are real....VERY real. :haha:

If you weren't so far away, I would offer to take a test ride and see.

This is a tough one. Mine feels rock solid......except for gravel on the road and tar snakes.
Part of what you are describing has to do with your specific tires and the tread pattern.
Tires like ours with tubes just don't "lose" air unless there is something wrong.

Check the pressure daily .....with the same gauge.....until you figure out what is going on.

(Are your tires old enough that they could be dried out and hard ??)
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Check the pressure daily .....with the same gauge.....until you figure out what is going on.
:plus1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
(Are your tires old enough that they could be dried out and hard ??)
No, his bike is brand new.

It is a very good idea to keep a pressure gauge on your bike and check the pressure every time you ride. Like EZ said, tubed tires usually don't just leak. When they fail, they fail violently.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Actually didn't hear any noises. Checked the pressure, 24.5 (this was after letting a little out twice. First time I forgot to turn the damn thing on. Efiing digital crap. Anything I should check just to make sure the front won't wiggle me into a face plant?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
mr. softie

Just a thought, but check the triple clamp bolts for tightness. Also for play in steering bearings. The manual has a good section on checking the front end. Your digital gauge may be off and the tire may be under inflated. I check my tires often with a pencil type gauge and they do lose air ~ 1 lb/week. I use a small 12v compressor plugged into my pickup. I need to install an accessory plug on my bike.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Jenny

Did this situation get taken care of? My first thought was to ask when you were checking tire pressure. My book said that I should always check tire pressure when the tire's cold. Just for the heck of it, I checked after riding for an hour, and the tire pressure is very different than when the bike is cold. I don't have a digital gauge, I just use the cheap little "stick" thing. I have been known to use the one on the air pump at the service station, but I don't trust it unless I forgot mine. I've also been told that I should follow the tire pressure listed on the bike and NOT the tire pressure listed on the tires. I've no idea how true/false that is.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
I've also been told that I should follow the tire pressure listed on the bike and NOT the tire pressure listed on the tires. I've no idea how true/false that is.
It is mosty true.
It depends on what your objective is.

The pressures listed in the book and on the bike are somewhat of a compromise for comfort, handling, safety and tred wear. Those are usually the best ones to use.

If, however, you are carrying a VERY large load......for whatever reason......or your primary objective is tred longevity at the expense of comfort and handling.....then use the ones on the sidewall. That is the absolute MAXIMUM pressure, cold.

Knowing what the difference is, I go with the book.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

24.5 lbs per square inch? That's low in my book. I feel squirrley when the pressure gets that low.

29 is my minimum.

I use gas station pumps if I'm on the road and need air, but I have a nice gauged bicycle pump made by Joe Blow which is accurate up to 130psi. I use that to get them spot on.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I keep my front around 30psi and the rear about 32-33...

I had a preload on the shock at 5 for a while. i've since backed it off to a 3, which is easier on the tailbone which is connected to the backbone...etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Thanks everyone. On the way in today I paid close attention, and, I'm starting to think it was in my head, or maybe there is just a weird pattern on the lanes that go home.

Jonathan - where can I get a Joe Blow? I think the gas station pumps suck, but then again, my bicycle pumps (Silca) are also kind of a pain in the ass. You need some serious muscle to get 130 PSI into a tire and the business end is always need new rubber grommets and blah, blah, blah. When I rode the bicycle I always preferred rock hard inflation (130-135) and pumped up before every ride. I'm not sure what the experts would say about that, but you can feel the road a lot better and I think I got less flats that way. My silca's are set up for the wrong kind of valve and I don't trust them to use on the MC.

I had it up to near 60 coming down the "straightaway" and it seemed okay this morning. I think maybe I was just applying an overactive imagination to the general bouncing and vibration that goes with riding a GZ.

But, based on your responses, I'm gonna put more air in. Thanks again for the feedback - this is great for somebody that has no riding friends or family to check with.