Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
i2kdave

first ride!

Took my first "ride" today. Just rode around the neighborhood, going up and down the main drive and turning around in the cul-de-sacs. Got it up to about 25 - 30 mph. It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be. It definitely helps that I rode 4-wheelers when I was a kid, as far as working the clutch, brakes, and gears. One thing I need to work on is keeping my turns tight when leaving stop signs. Everything else seemed pretty good, though. Here's a pic my wife took:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: first ride!

And, it was pretty effing FUN, yah?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Jer

\m/ \m/

Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
Took my first "ride" today. Just rode around the neighborhood, going up and down the main drive and turning around in the cul-de-sacs. Got it up to about 25 - 30 mph. It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be. It definitely helps that I rode 4-wheelers when I was a kid, as far as working the clutch, brakes, and gears. One thing I need to work on is keeping my turns tight when leaving stop signs. Everything else seemed pretty good, though. Here's a pic my wife took:

Tight turns can be very unsettling at first. Just turn your head the direction you want to go. The bike and your body will do the rest( simplified version). Practice and then practice some more. Most riders find left or right easier than the other. Practice both until you can confidently start out left or right from a stop sign or red light. Empty parking lots are free for the taking and the results are priceless.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Sarris

Don't try and turn from a dead stop. It's easier if you get her rolling straight for a couple of feet and then turn.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Sarris, I would agree with you in a practical sense, but beginning riders (hell, ALL riders) need to concentrate and practice on starting with the handlebars at full lock. It doesn't take more than a couple of times to get it down, and it will help you tremendously with slow speed maneuvering.

Once you get the feel of the balance point on the bike, you can do circles at full lock.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Sarris, I would agree with you in a practical sense, but beginning riders (hell, ALL riders) need to concentrate and practice on starting with the handlebars at full lock. It doesn't take more than a couple of times to get it down, and it will help you tremendously with slow speed maneuvering.

Once you get the feel of the balance point on the bike, you can do circles at full lock.
You are both right. A full lock start is doable and needed at times. Just practice on a clean road surface. A few pebbles under a tire can and will bring you down. Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:
Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A full lock start is doable and needed at times.
Two things:
Maybe, after 40 years riding, that is just one of probably several skills I need to "go back" and practice.

I can't,however, imagine what the situation would be when that skill would really be "needed".

Poised at the edge of a cliff with a grizzly bear charging..........??? :biggrin:
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Easy Rider, just go to your local Wally World when there is a big sale on. You will eventually get boxed in by cages and carts.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Easy Rider, just go to your local Wally World when there is a big sale on. You will eventually get boxed in by cages and carts.
Patience, Grasshopper, patience!! :biggrin: